GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Abdoulie Jallow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Nov 2001 21:01:46 -0500
Think about it folks. We have seen them running around every corner of the
country with their oversized kaftans presenting themselves as God-fearing
Muslims. They become overnight "Mu'alims" of the Quran and the Hadith! They
have freed themselves from the grasp of the Mosque and consequently shaken
off the grip of universal and humanitarian morality of the Islamic religion, but
they have not yet become permeated with the humanitarian idea of ethics -
which they cannot do without destroying themselves. For in their detached
existence and isolated compaction, these prostitutes are much too narrow-
minded to embrace, to accept the interests and eventually the morality of
humanity as dictated by the average Gambian upbringin
g.

Then, what is this morality we tend to see in their midst? Only theirs, and
Jammeh's interest becomes moral and justified. From their point of view, all
that is important and instrumental in conserving, exalting and consolidating
Jammeh's power is sacrilegiously good. As revolting as it might appear from
the point of view of humanity, whatever militates against their interests is bad,
even if it were in other respects the most holy and humanely just thing. Such
is the true morality of this breed of Gambians. No, I am not teaching them
what is moral or not. They know what is but their lust has overcome their
moral, ethical and professional judgments.

Yaya Jammeh has to recognize in his own hypocritical behavior the powerful
sentiment of humanity. Gloating here and there about killing and burying six
feet deep tens of thousands of Gambians makes him nothing but full of puff,
fluff and disgust. He
 pays his outward respect to the idea of humanity; speaks
and apparently acts only in its name, but he violates it every day. This should
be held against him. He cannot act otherwise, his position having become such
that he can only hold his own by slicing and dicing humanity. Therefore what
do we see? Every time he is ready to slain and maim he starts off by lashing
out one of his trade mark six-feet-deep speeches, only recently he started
adding numbers to that - 20,000 Gambians! In his puffing he declares that
right and justice are on his side. And he endeavors to show that it is actuated
only by his love for peace and security. I will spare you my response to that
drool of a child killer holding ours hostage.........

The rights of the Gambians, those entrenched within the constitution as well as
those derived from fundamental humanity, lack any moral sanction. In every
definitive history of a society, they are
 the material expression of the balance
resulting from the mutual counteraction of the powers be. So long as the
antagonist exists in our midst, peace cannot be guaranteed. Whenever Yaya
feels sufficiently strong to destroy the balance to his advantage, he always
steps up to do just that. The history of his seven years in power fully bears this
point. Ever since he came to power, the political Gambia has always been and
still is the stage for high mischief and unsurpassed depredation which are held
in honor, since they are ordained by his version of patriotism and his supreme
interest. For there is no terror, cruelty, sacrilege, perjury, infamous
transactions, contempt or laid-out robbery which has not been committed and
all are still being committed daily by Jammeh and his thugs, with no other
excuse than the so convenient and terrible phrase "national security". A
terrible phrase indeed!

Abdoul
ie A. Jallow
(BambaLaye)