GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Malanding Jaiteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Sep 2007 10:56:33 -0400
Musa,
If PDOIS's main purpose  is to educate Gambians about democracy and they
do not care how long it takes or how many are educated in their life
time, then I have no case to make. They are perfectly entitled to do as
they please and please forgive me for continuing this rambling. However
if there exist a higher purpose such as ruling the country by the ballot
box, then there remain a lot of convincing to be done.

I believe it is wrong to suggest that  Gambian people do not know
better. They, like any other are being practical. They need the bread
and butter and will do whatever it takes to secure that. Just like many
of us dropping out of college to work at the MacDonalds of this world,
just because we need roof over our heads and bread on the table. That
does not mean that we are unaware of the longterm dangers of not going
to college. Also this thing on tribal politics  in today's Gambia is a
little overblown. The APRC by its composition is not based on tribe.
Infact I would venture to say that the the APRC support base is broader
than either NRP or UDP. Yes, they exploit tribal issues just like the
other two I mentioned.

Father Mose, let at some of your statements;

"The reality is that people are not winning elections, or loosing elections base on their party message, and this will continue to happen until we at least adopt the process of building a real democracy in the Gambia. There is no way of measuring the effectiveness of PDOIS, or any political party for that matter in the Gambia base on using election results as a base because that it self is flawed. "

On the contrary there is a way to measure effectiveness. The problem is
on deciding what you want to measure. If , PDOIS's participation in
national election is any indication of their desire to rule the country
then election results is the ultimate measure of their effectiveness.
With the process flawed, we still have the opposition winning 30%.
Unfortunately PDOIS's share of that vote is not impressive.

  "The PDOIS message can be put in this way: let us create an environment where Gambians will take ownership of their own destiny."

If we take this as official PDOIS line then those who care must help
them assess how far they have come and what needs to be done.

"As long as we continue to have some among us impose their own will onto us, you will expect to see the suffering of people in our country, and there is nothing any message can do to bring about immediate change."

If we go by this, then we should ask brother Halifa and team to take
early retirement since Dr. J intends to be around for another 30yrs!

I am not trying to be dis-respectful to brother Halifa and team but I
sincerely believe that,  after all the difficulties they faced over the
last 20 yrs, being  misunderstood or mis-represented by even one person
is one too many. If that happens as confirmed by brother Halifa, then
that makes it even more important for us to ask WHY?

Malanding Jaiteh