GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 16:59:40 EDT
Ebou,

I think what you said here also echoes what the individual who sent me the
private email said, that there is a reason that the Secretary General
position is given to people from developing  countries because essentially,
it is the super powers who ultimately control what transpires at the U.N.

The following point you raise is interesting, you said that:

"the power arrangements within the UN framework ought to  be redesigned for
that body to generate any credible results of substance."

This I think, is the essence of this whole exchange. The question then
becomes, who is going to spearhead this need for a new organization of the
U.N? I still say that while Anna cannot do this singlehandedly, at least, he
can at least make an attempt  to have such an agenda for a well needed change
if the U.N is to have any future, even if he fails at it.
It is a resignation to accept that this is the way things are that I find
unacceptable. Clearly, Annan will need the backing of the members of the U.N
that are deemed the "small fry" by the big guys, and I think that there is
already a realization of the problem and voices raised about this problem. I
listened to an interview on Public Radio with Thabo Mbeki last night in which
he mentioned that up to his point, there has been a sort of "apartheid"
directed at some of the member countries, and especially African countries,
so I think that despite the odds, I still believe some changes can be brought
about, the question is, how does one go about it.

Jabou Joh

In a message dated 9/8/00 11:48:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,