GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kabir Njaay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Apr 2007 22:48:26 +0200
Hi Suntou,

There may be some biographies but I believe Heley's, written together with
Malcolm, is the only existing autobiography and this is the one featured in
the program. It is indeed a very moving book. I bought my copy about twenty
years ago and it is in a very sorry state now and needs to be replaced.

Haley went on to write 'Roots' in which traced his paternal origins to The
Gambia and later made a similar attempt on his maternal roots in 'Queen'
although 'Queen' is not as well known as 'Roots'. Harold Courlander later
claimed Haley stole the story from him and sued. Because Haley agreed to a
huge out-of-court settlement, many believed Courlander's claim may not be
entirely without merit.

Regards,

Kabir.