GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Jeng, Beran" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 2000 16:01:35 -0400
Injured Students Return From Egypt

Daily Observer (Banjul)

October 24, 2000

Banjul

Three Gambian students who were shot and wounded during the bloody April 10-11
students demonstration and were flown to Egypt for further medical treatment
have returned to Banjul.

The three, Yusupha Mbye, Assan Suwareh and Sainey Senghore, arrived in Banjul,
September 2.

Yusupha Mbye of Pipeline Comprehensive Senior Secondary School and Assan Suwareh
of Banjul Academy are presently hospitalised at Dr Ahmed Tejan Kabbah private
block, RVH. Sainey Suwareh, a grade 10 student of Essau Senior Secondary School
could not be reached.

Speaking to our reporter, Yusupha Mbye, a grade 10 student, said they were
responding well to treatment.

Speaking from his hospital bed, Mr. Mbye, who turns 18, this Sunday, October 29,
praised the Egyptian doctors. However, he said, "I really need further medical
treatment abroad."

Contacted yesterday for comment on the conditions of the three students, Kebba
Badjie, RVH deputy chief executive, referred our reporter to the chief executive
Dr Mariatou Jallow who could not be reached.