GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
BambaLaye <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 22:26:20 -0500
Asbjørn,

I am glad that you understood the essence of my message to our people. The
sad thing is that I am not the only one who knows about what is going on
with the system. I can assure you that majority of Gambians or those who
live and do business in Gambia will not hesitate to allude to, in private,
what I have written. Unfortunately, very few people are concerned enough to
make their feelings known. What are we doing about it? Why are we not
concerned? Do we want our kids to live in a mess we created?
The status quo will prevail until such a time that we the people stand up
to the truth and fight for a just society. It all starts with a word, a
sentence, a paragraph and so on. I wish many more of us woul
d see to it
that we discuss more often about what is wrong our society and face the
options to correct. It's about time we all take action in our own ways,
small or big, one good thing at a time shall help us prevail.
I wish I could convince some of the media chiefs at Radio 1 FM and other
private radios, private news papers or even the Government to organize town
hall meetings or symposia and invite ordinary Gambians and the general
public (Gambian or non-Gambian alike) to discuss some of the things we feel
are out of sync with sustainable development. For it is only when we
recognize that there is a problem to be fixed can we take steps to fix them
as a society. We need to start thinking beyond our range of feeling,
smelling and hearing. An attitudinal change is much needed now than ever
before.

Have a good night/ morning.

Abdoulie A. Jallow
(BambaLaye)