GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 00:05:57 EST
Ladies & Gents:

I have been following the recent exchanges regarding the political situation
on the ground back home.  There have been differing viewpoints, usually all
with their merit.  However, a farce of an excuse which seems to give the
impression that people, especially those in this Bantaba who have voiced
critical opinions of the state of affairs back home, do not have the best
interest of Gambians and Gambia at heart is being propagated.

I find this new farce of an excuse to be ludicrous and downright insulting to
any Gambian in the Opposition.  It reminds me of the public's reaction here
after Sept 11, when crazy flag waving antics & blind patriotism was the norm.
 In lieu of this patriotic hoopla, people who questioned the country's
motives were termed unpatriotic until a few apt people pointed out that
objectors were also as patriotic as the crazy flag wavers.

Given the reaction to Sept 11 was a special case and thus those who
questioned the patriotism of others in this backdrop, can possibly be given
the benefit of the doubt.  But the those who propagate these type of
misguided phrases here on the L should be taken to task..  Numbskulls like
Ousman Jallow Bojang, who seem to use every opportunity these days to
postulate more outrageous theories about the motivations of the objectors to
the regime, should be discounted.  I remember on one occasion sometime last
year when this excuse for a certified nurse wrote me a personal email begging
me not to expose him for the hypocrite he was.  Mind you, this was before he
officially turned coat and threw his support behind Jammeh.  I mean, what
other Gambian man deliberately uses both last names of his parents to show
that he or she is from two tribes?

I challenge all other more credible serious folks to tell us how being
objectively critical of the regime back home can be termed as unpatriotic
behavior?  I personally think that line of reasoning is oxymoronic as all
members of the Opposition, particularly those at home, have the best interest
of the country at heart.