GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 09:52:07 +0100
Fellow Colleagues

I think "critics" of UDP should now take note of the
fact that they treated Saihou Mballow with contempt.

Prior to the ALD symposium, they were indications that
Mr Darboe and his delegation won't be attending. From
that moment, we received series of emails questioning
UDP's seriousness in debating issues of national
interest. Moreover, some even asked why UDP can't send
a delegate, they even question whether UDP was a one
man party-OUSAINOU DARBOE AND NO ONE ELSE.To justify
my comments, here are some of the remarks which were
posted on the "L"

(1)Joe Sambou- UDP delegation  postpones US trip

"How many people are in the UDP governing?" posted on
23/05/01

(2) Bass Ndow-UDP delegation postpones US trip

"What happened to the principle of delegation? Is UDP
a one man party? Why not delegate other officials or
UDP NAMs?" posted on 22/05/01

(3) Lajorr Ndow-UDP delegation postpones US trip

"Mr Jasseh-Conteh , I do not understand how we can
have you represent the UDP at the event when we have
no way of ascertaining if you are the official
representative of the UDP or not." 24/05/01

Well after careful consideration, I find it difficult
to accept that UDP have to explain the reasons for
their absence. According to very reliable information,
Mr Saihou Mballow was elected as an Executive member
of the UDP during its first annual congress held at
Brikama on 29 May 1998. Moreover, he was a UDP
candidate for the last parliamentary/National Assembly
elections held on 2 January 1997. The question which
one has to ask is why Saihou Mballow was not given the
go-ahead to represent UDP at this Symposium? Are we so
obsessed with seeing leaders of political parties
giving speeches. By the way, the APRC never sent their
"heavy weights"-the likes of Yankuba Touray APRC, Buba
Baldeh , Tamsir Jallow and many others were  not part
of the delegation. Since UDP had a executive member
currently "residing" in the US, then surely the ALD
oraginising committee should have used him as a
substitute to Mr Darboe. The decision to deny Saihou
Mballow that opportunity makes it difficult for me to
blame UDP on their non-attendance.

The blame should therefore be split equally between
the ALD organisers and the UDP National Executive
Committee.

Apart from that I would like to commend the ALD
organisers for spear-heading such a great occasion.

I therefore wish them all the best for future
symposiums

Thank you

Sanusi

--- saihou Mballow <[log in to unmask]> wrote: >  On
behalf of the UDP i would like to thank the ALD

=== message truncated ===