GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
malik kah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Jun 2002 16:22:49 +0000
Saiks, you have rightly dealt with the fundamentals, development is a
multi-faceted ,multi-dimensional subject however, despite the range the
essence of development cannot change, for development to be meaningful it
has to be geared to to the people. Development must be people oriented as
well as people centred. If development is measured against any otjher
criteria it would derail it's essence and many a time people have committed
this error of interpretation, instead of people centre they try to establish
other objectives that would reflect other realities and this is and has been
the case fror many African countries. In other to measure development an
objective criteria must be established and against such a criteria one can
gauge how far the objectives hasw been realised. It is a truism to assert
that  humanbeings have certain  basic necessities to meet for survival;
first are the SHELTER, FOOD, CLOTHING, EDUCATION, SANITATION AND CLEAN
WATER. iIf these needs are adequately satisfied to the chagrin of the people
one can say that there is development notwithstanding the modern needs, such
as electricity etc. To be able to fulfil such needs it is obvious that
science and technology will have to play a pivotal role a role that is
indespesable in this day and age. Science and technology has evolved in a
way that we must embrace it to satisfy our moderrn day needs, science as you
rightly said is a friend and not and enemy, there are lots of
accomplishments we can reach with the enhancement and application of science
and technology. Without embracing and applying technology we will find it
extremely difficfult to fulfil our developmental needs,hence the notion that
technology and science are alien is a complete misnomer perpetuated by some
African romantics. The back breaking conditions of work our gerneratio has
inherited must be consigned to history, we must endeavour to embrace and
encourage technological application, without such we will not be able to
eradicate the backwardness that is characteristic iof our ways of life. It
is rather sad to see that we still use hoes hoes to do farming such archaic
tools most be consigned to the museums and we use technologically more
efficient and advance forms of tools. Technology does not have to be
complicated, sometimes through inovations we can modify it and use it to
serve our circumstances, hence the notion that they are western concepts
most be refuted and challenged, for their is nothing much miore dangerous
that to alienate us from scvientific advancement. I hope the government
instead of constatntly attacking the youths will endeavour to make farming
more techno0logically accdepted so that instead of producing sdo littyle
with millions of hours of work they will realise a lot with minimum effort.
Through increased production in agriculture and industrialisation ur4ban
youth idling will be substantially reduced. The way forward is therefore to
mechanise agriculture and link suh mechanisation with industrialisation. I
know a lot has been said by academics but little has been realised in
ptractical terms and unless we mechanise and expand our productive caqpacity
we will never be able to  meet our rfood and many other needs.

Complementing your assertions Saiks I hope someone is heeding somewhere.