GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Pa Nderry M'bai <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 15:48:29 +0000
                                     JAMMEH  HAS    SPOKEN
                                      WHAT'S   NEXT  FOR  GAMBIANS?

Going  by  president  Yahya  Jammeh's   statement   on   Deyda's   death,
The  Gambia  is  no longer  a  safe  heaven.    This  had  always  been
the  reality.   He  had  now  conceded  to   that  fact   of  in security
in   the  country.     As   i   mentioned   in   my  previous   postings,
it   would   be   difficult    for   right   thinking   minded  Gambians
to    buy   his   story  that   Deyda    was   murdered   by   trigger
happy  civilians.     Now   if    that  is   the  case  as  he   suggested,
   what  is  stopping   him   and  his   government   from   probing  the
origins   of   the  bullets,   which   killed   Deyda.       All    guns
are   licensed   with   the  police.       The    IGP'S   office    should
be   able  to  establish  whether  the  bullets   used  in  Deyda's   murder
  were    "service  or  civil  bullets."    Security  experts  knows  what
i  am  trying   to   put  across  here.

Jammeh's   statement  that  some  Gambians  are  harbouring  armed  bandits
is  a  cause  for  concern.     It   had   far  reaching  implications   on
   our  cherished  peace.     Is    Jammeh  implying   that   there   are
rebels  in   The  Gambia?    If   so,   what  is   his   irresponsible
government  doing  to   arrest   the  situation?     How   long  will  his
government  continue   to   indict   these  so  called   armed  civilians
as  being  responsible  for   these  atrocities   taking  place  in  our
beloved  country?     I    doubt   if  Jammeh  will  funish   us  with  any
answers.

                                     JAMMEH   HATE  TO  ADMIT
RESPONSIBILITY  FOR
                                      ATROCITIES  LINKED  TO  HIS
GOVERNMENT

Since   Jammeh  came  to  power,   he   had   not   owned  up  to  any    of
   the  atrocities  linked  to   his  administration.     When   one   talk
   about  the   bloody  November  11   abortive   coup,   he  will  tell
you,    loyal  forces  overpowered  dissident  rebel  army  soldiers.
Most  of      the  coup   suspects  were  summarily  executed.       The
right   to   legal  recourse  for     the  coup  suspects   was  flatly
violated    by  his    government.        How   about   the  bloody   April
  10  and  11  incident?   Our  kids   and  colleague  Omar   Barrow   were
murdered.    Their   rights   to   organise   a    peaceful   demonstration
was   violated.    Shameless   Jammeh     and   his    government     denied
   killing  the  students  saying  unscrupulous  people  killed  the
student  demonstrators.      The    Lartey  commission   dismissed  the
government's   assertions   and   indicted  a    good    number  of
soldiers   for  being  responsible    for   the  students    deaths.     The
    commission   recommended   for   the  prosecution   of    the  student's
   killers.     But   Jammeh  decided   to   extend       amnesty,     to
them,     since  he  ordered  the  shooting.      Knowing that   he  was
impicated,     he  used  his  rubber  stamp  national  assembly  to   pass
an  indemnity  Act  to   bare  aggrieved   families  from  seeking   legal
redress.     Jammeh  did  not  stopped  at  that.    He  also  denied  that
his  government   wanted  to  kill  human  rights  lawyer   Ousman  Sillah.
   He  told   lawyers  who  attended  the   2004   legal  year  that  "his
soldiers   are  professional  and  cannot   shoot   and   miss  a   target"
   This   statement  of   Jammeh  is   indeed   revealing.     Is   he
telling  us  that  his  soldiers  always   accomplished   their  missions?

Democratic   leaders  claims   responsibility,    when  their  governments
are  found    wanting.    You  remember   the  Senegalese  "Lee  Jolla"
boat  disaster?    President   Abdoulie    Wada   publicly  accepted
responsibility   for  the  boat   accident.     He   sacked   the  civil
servants  responsible  and  put  up  a  contingency  plans  to  avoid  such
a    tragedy.      This   is  what  we  expect   from  our   leaders.
But  Jammeh   want   to   behave  as    if   he  is  perfect.        Well,
  these   crimes  linked   to  your  government   cannot   go  unpunished.
     You     will    account  for  your  deeds  one   day.    We   have
seen  dictators  like  Saddam,    Charles   Taylor  and   others   being
dragged  to  court.     Mr.President,    nothing  is  permanent  on  this
universe.   Please  take  note  of   this.

                                 A     WEAK  SECURITY  NET  WORK   IN  THE
GAMBIA
                                 DEYDA   HYDARA   TELLS   NIA  AGENTS

In   2003,     our   point   office    was  being   harassed   by  the  NIA
  to   produce   a  Senegalese  proclaimed  Movement  For   Justice  in
Africa  MOJA   president.    Koneh   was  interviewed    by   this  writer
and  he  said   among  other   things,    his  close  relations    with
Kukoi  Samba   Sanyang,   the  alleged  master  minder   of   the  armed
1981,   rebellion,   which   left    thousands  of    Gambians    dead.
Koneh  told   the   point   that   Kukoi   was   resident  in  Burkina faso
at  the  time   and   he  had  been  in   contact  with  him.     Koneh
claimed   that  his  presence  in  the  Gambia  was  due  to  persecutions
he  suffered   from  the  Wade  administration   of   Senegal.   He
claimed   that  his   life   was   threatened  as  he    knew  the  killers
of    former  president  of    the  Senegalese  Electoral   Commission
Baboucarr   Saye.

Shortly  after  we   ran  the  story,   we  received   couple  phone  calls
  from  The  NIA   to  help  them  locate  Koneh.    The   agency  said
Koneh's    assertions   borders  on   National  security.       I     and
Deyda   told   the  callers    that   we  don't  know   where   Koneh   was
  residing   and  it  was  not  our  job  to  disclose  addresses  of  our
interviewees.

After   two   weeks   of  unsuccessful    search,   one   NIA   agent
Sidibeh   showed  up   in   our   offices   and    said   " I   am  looking
  for   Pa   Nderry  M'Bai."     I    responded  and  said "   I   am  Pa
Nderry.   Please  have  a   seat.     What  can  i  do   for  you ?"
Sidebeh   then   pulled  out   his   official  ID  and  said"I   am   an
NIA  agent  from   the   president's     office.    I   am   assigned   to
come  and  meet   you,  so  that   you can  help  us  locate  Koneh.     He
said  certain   things   that  borders  on  National   security  and  we
will  solicit  your  cooperation  in   this  investigations.    Failure  to
disclose  where  he  lives,  i   have  no  option  but   to   take   you  to
     our  offices  in  Banjul."    I   retorted"Well,  Mr.Sidebeh,   i  am
sorry  i  cannot  help  you  locate  Koneh.   I  don't  know  where  he
lives  and  even   though  i     happen  to  know  i  will  not   tell
you.    What  you are  talking  about  is  against   the  ethics  of  our
profession.      I   expect   you  to  do  your  job."

He   then  retorted"Look  we  have  been  searching  for   this  man  for
the  past  two  weeks.   We  have  searched  everywhere,   but  cannot   see
   him.   We  photocopied   the  publication  of  your  paper   in  which
Koneh  talked  about   Kukoi.    Almost   every  staff   of    the  agency
is  a    having   a   copy  of    this  publication.    You    should  help
us  trace   this  man.   Forget  about   the  issue  of   ethics  and   be
patriotic''

I   countered  by  telling  him"    I   will  live  and  die  with   the
ethics  of   our   journalism  profession.     Nothing  can  make  me
compromised  my  profession.    I   am   equally  patriotic.  But  the
issue  at  hand  centred  on   ethics  and   not  patriotism.     I    think
   i have  to   refer  you  to  my  boss   Deyda   Hydara"

Myself  and  Sidebeh   walked  to  Deyda's   office,    where  he  again
announced  his   mission.    Deyda  was  so  piss  off  with  the  NIA  man
and  this  what  he  had   to  say"   You  people   have  proven   that  you
  cannot  protect  Gambians.    Koneh  has  been  here  for  about  three
weeks  and  you  said you  cannot  find  him?   This   is  ridiculous.
You  come  across  with  this  man  every  day.    Jammeh   should  sack
the    entire   NIA.    You  are   not   doing  your  job.      This  is  a
disgrace!!!     Leave  Pa   Nderry  and  the  Point  alone.   We  will  not
help  you  trace  Koneh.   In fact,  i    will  write  about  this  lapse
of   security  in   my  next  editorial"

While  in  Deyda's   office,   a  phone  call  came  in   that    the
wanted   Koneh  was  at   the  reception  looking   for  his  news  client
Pa  Nderry.   Deyda    told   one   of  my  colleagues  to   ask   the
visitor  to   wait  for  me    in   my  office.     Koneh  was   briefed  by
  the  local  staff   that  he  was  being  trailed  by  an  NIA   officer
who  was  present  in  Deyda's   office.    Just  out  of  the blue,   he
forcefully  walked  into  Deyda's   office   and  confronted  NIA   officer
Sidebeh.     " I  learnt  that  you   have  been  looking  for   me,    for
  the  past  two  weeks.    Here   i  am.    I    am  not  a  criminal.    I
   am  a  decent  Senegalese   trying  to  seek  sanctuary  in   your
country.    I   am   really  disappointed.    You  people  don't   know
your   job.     I   have   been  in   the   markets,   night  clubs  and
everywhere  and  you  said  you  cannot   find  me.    Here  i  am.   Stop
harassing  Pa   Nderry  and    Deyda.    They  are  doing  their  job  as
expected."  Koneh  said.

The  NIA  officer  was  in  a  state  of  joy,  as  he  could  not  believe
that  Koneh  would  be  brave  enough  to  surrender  himself.    He  then
remarked" Thank  you  Koneh.   Can   you   join  me  in  our   Banjul
offices?"    Koneh  retorted"  Why  not.   Lets  go.   I  have  nothing  to
hide.    I   am   a  clean  man."

Interestingly,  the   NIA   officer  was  not   with  a   vehicle  to
transport  Koneh.   He   asked  Deyda  if  he  could  gave  him   a  lift
to  take  Koneh.   This  statement  sounds   interesting  to  the  late
journalist"   You  said  what?  lift,  lift?  You  don't   have  vehicle  to
  take  Koneh  to  the NIA  office?    This   is   unbelievable!!!   I   am
  sorry,   i  cannot   give   you  lift.   Try   and  charter  a  taxi.
Ok.    We  are  busy  working  on  our  tomorrow's    edition  bye."said
Hydara.

The  NIA  man  left.    After  spending  about  two  days  in  custody
Koneh  was  released  unconditionally.    But  he  came  with  threatening
news  to  our  office  that   i    and  Deyda  were  in   the  bad  books
of    the  NIA.   You  two  guys  ought  to   be  very  careful.   The   NIA
  are  not  happy with  your  work.    They  advised  me  to  avoid  talking
  to  the  Point."

Deyda  then  thanked  Koneh  for  informing  us   with  such  a  vital
news.    We  kept  Koneh's  info  to   ourselves  and  continue  with  our
work.       This   writeup  is  just  a   wake  up  call  for  Gambians
that  they  need  to  be   vigilant.