GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 10:12:59 EDT
News coming from home indicate that there is at least some token movement in
the Dumo case. Thanks to the dedication of Dumo's family and his defense
lawyers, the days of his unlawful incarceration, will soon come to an end.
According to reports, Dumo's lawyers have now been given leave to appeal the
ridiculous order of that inexperienced magistrate (Roche), to detain Dumo et
al in direct contradiction to the order of a High Court judge. The appeal
will be heard in due course. The High Court should accelerate matters and
hear this appeal as soon as possible so that the illegally detained citizens
will be freed to go and see their families. As we said in an earlier
posting, the erroneous ruling from Haddy Roche is the sole basis for the
continued incarceration of these innocent citizens. So once that ruling is
out of the way, the accused persons should be freed. Up to today, these
people have not been charged before the proper authorities. The only thing
that is keeping them in jail is lies concocted by the likes of Yaya, Pap
Cheyassin Secka, Foday Barry and Haddy Roche. If the authorities have
something against these people, they should charge them before the High
Court. But then again, that is asking too much of a corrupt and inept
attorney general's chambers. I understand that they did not even show up in
court yesterday to challenge the application brought by Dumo's lawyers.
Perhaps they recognized that their positions are indefensible. That is their
modus operandi. When they should appear in court, they don't show up. Later
they will come in with frivolous applications trying to overturn decisions
that were given in their absence. This is all a ploy to delay justice. But
we got their game figured out. This matter will be brought out in the open
to be scrutinized by both the Gambians inside Gambia and the international
community. We will continue to showcase the brutality of this illegal regime
and their disregard for the rule of law and human rights. We encourage the
lawyers representing Dumo, Lalo, etc. to be vigilant and continue to attack
the AG. The AG can never succeed in the evil he wishes to perpetrate. The
law is not on his side. We might not be victorious each time we go to court
(thanks to a corrupt judiciary), but our unjustified failures will help us
to demonstrate the brutality of our callous government. This will further
help isolate the government and make it easier to get rid of Yaya. A
government that treats its citizens the way Yaya treated our children on
April 10 and 11 and the way they are currently treating Dumo et al, does not
deserve the cooperation of decent governments. The Americans have recently
demonstrated (excluding Gambia from their list of trading partners) that
they would not help perpetuate despots in our country. I hope the British
follow those examples. The tyranny Yaya visits on defenseless Gambians
should not be rewarded by helping him to better equip the apparatus he uses
to terrorize innocent Gambians.
KB