GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ebrima Sillah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 May 2002 23:16:58 +0100
Yus,

All the ruling party deputies present in the Assembly
voted in favour of the bill. The three opposition
deputies in the persons of Hammat Bah, Halifa Sallah
and Sedia Jatta voted against it. As what now for the
GPU...ofcourse we are going to supreme court to
challenge the bill. The constitution of the Gambia is
very clear: 'any law that is inconsistent with the
constitution stands void'. It further says that the
constitution of the Gambia is the supreme law of the
land. The Gambia government itself knows that all
principled journalists in the country will never
cooperate with them on this bill. These are people who
since 1994 have been putting up schemy attempts to gag
the vibrant independent media in the Gambia.
Journalists have been tortured, deported to their war
torned wountries, arrested illigally, media houses
closed for unjustifiable reasons and all sorts of
intimidations meted out to us. But we remained
steadfast and we shall remain so. So now what have
they done...hide behind a so called law to kill
independent journalism in the country. Brothers and
sisters that will not work. This country is supposed
to ber governed by the rule of law dictated by
conscience and fair play.
Anything short of that is unacceptable as far as the
GPU and its members are concerned. It was really
pathetic to see that the country's deputies who should
be in the forefront of defending the constitution were
themselves violators of the law. But they will surely
meet us in the court. The government has to explain
why it should not respect the rule of law in the
Gambia. The GPU as a matter of princile agrees with
content of Madi's piece. Just as you cannot tell the
truth while sitting on the fence(Kebba Dempha) you
cannot also claim to be a democratic country when you
dont respect the very fundamental principles that make
deomcracy work.

E Sillah.

Gassama: