GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2001 19:13:31 -0000
Kb,

I hear you! But rest assured that the criminals WILL BE routed in both Kiang
and Baddibu on Saturday. What some of us fail to realize is that though our
rural folks may not be as "sophisticated" as urban dwellers, they're
generally speaking more reliable in terms of their promises, or patronage.
In other words, they're very honorable people by and large. If truth be
told, outside of the Fonis, Yaya has more support in Banjul and Serrekunda
than anywhere else in that country. These are the areas we NEED to worry
about. If they would shun Yaya's money or other material enticements, we'll
have another Kenneth Kaunda-Fred Chiluba scenario in October(incumbent prez
20%, challenger 70%+.) But we still have too many "funny" characters
concentrated in our urban areas. If you've been to/stayed in various parts
of the country, you know exactly what I'm talking about. For the Baddibus,
Kiangs, Jarras, Niumis, Saloums, Fulladus, etc, Yaya simply doesn't stand a
chance. And he knows it! You just watch Saturday's results: Yaya Jammeh's
Boys would not just be defeated, they'll be resoundingly HUMILIATED in both
Baddibu and Kiang. No doubts there...

On a related issue, we ought to START devising concrete ways of helping a
United Opposition effort come October. Particularly as that relates to Vote
Protection and Vote Counting. What really helped Wadda in Senegal is the use
of Cell Phones by his agents at polling stations. As soon as votes were
counted at a particular polling station, these agents
would call predetermined Radio Stations, and give them the results. The
Radio stations relayed the results to the public. So that people were
waiting for the IEC's announcements ONLY as a formality. Everyone was
keeping tab on what was happening all over Senegal. This was why Wadda
actually declared himself the winner after results were received from the
biggest 700 polling stations in Senegal! There simply wasn't a chance for
Joof's thugs to mess with people's votes. We can duplicate that scenario in
the Gambia. We have private radio stations, who have as much an interest in
seeing the back of this rogue regime as we do. But, it's going to take
money!

Which is where WE come in. We HAVE TO pool our resources together and put it
at the disposal of the opposition. Knowing the criminal govt we have,
they'll try something to frustrate our efforts, but we can find ways of
circumventing any snags they may put in our way -if we start early. The
proposed July meeting in Atlanta is a great idea. We shouldn't let it slip.
People like you and I, who don't hesitate to criticize any opposition party
should either put up or shut up. Also, those who are on record here as being
totally opposed to any other means of dislodging this criminal govt, order
than the ballot box, should step forward and do their part to prevent that
possibility. If Yaya rigs the election, and tries to hold on, some people
will be forced to consider other means of taking him on. It's time we walk
the walk. As hard as times are, I don't see why any non-Full Time Gambian
student in America, can't donate AT LEAST a hundred dollars ($100.00)
towards an effort to stop facism and tyranny at home. Yaya has deeper
pockets than our people (the opposition,) so the more we give them, the
better their chance of countering his evil machinery. This is something to
broach with any adult Gambian you bump into next time. We've got to do
better than just talk...

Saul.