GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
MLJ Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 18:34:20 -0400
Dear Comrades:

Please be rest assured that we are fighting the same
battle.  It is fruitful that we emerge in deferring
views as to how we intend to solve the problems of our
country.  I welcome criticisms and actually must admit
that they are beneficial in my political development.
I hope the same sentiment goes for you too.

By position on tribalism as a crime is rooted in my
belief that we are one Gambia and tribalism has no
place in politics.  I vividly remember when I used
to be called a Serere kid because of my mother's
linkage.  It was tormenting as a child, but as I grew
older I was always eager to go fishing with my Serere
nephews in Perang Berending.  As I look back, I remember
village folks living together, intermarrying and relying
on each other for support.  I wonder, why then does one
have to advocate tribal sentiments?  The Gambia can only
be The Gambia of yesterday if we are willing to work
with each other for the interest of our country.

My position in passing a law that makes tribalism a
crime must be evaluated in its entirety.  No Gambian
should be discriminated based on tribe, political
affiliation, religious indoctrination or educational
status.  We must make laws that ban tribalism in our
society.  This is the only way forward in eradicating
an evil sin.

If Mr. Manneh felt that I accused him of tribalism, may
I extend my sincere apologies to him.  My position is that
he should not have enumerated Gambians by tribe in different
polling stations of Niani Constituency.

I am of the opinion that the UDP should have engaged us on
the L to clarify inconsistencies of events on the Touray
issue.  We are getting news from third parties, and the
saddest thing above all is that Kebba Jobe came up with
this news.  Do we first have to hear negative news coming
out of the enemy camp?  The UDP has a moral obligation in
informing the public.

I also want to let you know that I am not defending
Hon. Touray.  My position is that the UDP leadership
acted improperly in expelling him.  This is the worst
time that we can engage in disarray.  Another concern
is that the indemnity law passed by the legislature will
be null and void if the opposition wins the presidential
election.  Why jeopardize the growth of the opposition?
Who was first approached on Touray's expulsion strategy?
Was it initiated by the UDP leadership?

I hope when we meet on Memorial Day festivities, we can
clarify some issues.  My position as a moderate and a
willingness to restrain from calculated risk may be
opposed by some.  I am convinced that with differing
views we will be able to educate each other.

Naphiyo,

Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh