GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 1999 08:21:21 PDT
Fellow Gambians & Friends of the Gambia,

I have been closely following the debate on this forum about the issue of
National ID.  After reading the wonderful contributions from Gambia-L
subscribers and articles from the Gambian Media, I could not help but to
wonder about the reasons behind the ID brouhaha. Some of you asserted that
ID's are vital to national security. National Security?!!? If the whole
issue is about the protection of the Gambian ppl, the government thru the
Immigration Dept should travel to every district to issue the Cards at a
reasonable cost. Furthermore, the Card should be valid for a period of
atleast five years as evident in other countries. A closer examination of
the issue reveals  that the "ID Palava" is more of a financial matter than
protection. In an attempt to finance their corrupt behaviors, the
authorities are unconstitutionally imposing yearly renewals on the Gambian
ppl. If the "mansakunda" (govt) needs revenues it perhaps prudent to revise
spending.  For example, cut back on the salaries of Dictator Jammeh and his
gang of intimidators.

THIS IS WHAT I THINK, WHAT IS YOUR OPINION?