GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Alieu S.K Cham" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Mar 2007 14:20:10 +0100
Hi Suntou,

Nice to have you in the Forum. You are most welcome!
When that is said, i would like to express my complete disagrement with your
call for some form of
armed struggle, "willingness to die for the course...." etc. in our beloved
country. In my view, there is no justification
for such a call in The Gambia. In an armed struggle, one may succeed in
removing a head of state but that is hardly an end goal. What do you think?
My objection to the use of force lies primarily in the fact that all too
often it does not bring much more than suffering for so many people, loss of
life, destruction of livelihood, displacement of the population
and, destruction of most of a country's infrastructure (communication,
health, education, you name it). Moreover, quite often it leaves a country
divided along tribal/ethnic lines. One does not need to look far to find
crown examples of this. There are more than enough in our very
sub-region (West Africa).

I am also curious about why your "willingness to die for the course..."
project does not say how you're gonna deal with these things i have just
outlined. Was it an oversight? You may think i am being cowardly? Well, may
be i am -:) That would depend on how one defines cowardness or bravery, for
that matter.
What is certain - as i see it - is that  the cost of war is usually too high
for a country. This is especially true in the case of an internal war (with
destroyed institutions, traumatized population etc) in a country such as
ours.What do you say?

Just my view on armed struggles generally.

\Alieu S.K Cham, Oslo