GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
MOMODOU BUHARRY GASSAMA <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Apr 2000 11:02:40 +0200
Hi Yankuba!
                    Here is a copy of the petition. I think you are
responsible for it now. You can add Sidibeh's suggestion to it and if no
more suggestions come your way, then you can assume the letter to be the
final draft. Thanks.

Buharry.

                            TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

Dear Sir/Madam,

                        A very tragic chapter in the history of our beloved
nation, The Gambia, occurred on the 10th. And 11th. April 2000 when security
forces opened fire and killed 14 and injured at least 28 people including a
Red Cross volunteer and journalist, Omar Barrow, during an unarmed
demonstration organised by students. The students were protesting the
torture and murder of a fellow student Ebrima Barry by Fire Service
personnel, and the rape of a 13-year old school girl, Binta Manneh, by a
police officer. Hundreds of students have since been arrested and distraught
parents do not know whether their children are among the dead or imprisoned.

 We the undersigned, as concerned citizens, respectfully request you and
your organization to keep pressure on the Government of The Gambia to
immediately:

-         instruct the security forces to halt all excessive use of force
against civilians;

-         release all the students currently under detention;

-         release the names of those killed and release their bodies to
their relatives for proper burial;

-         launch an independent enquiry into the shootings and circumstances
surrounding it;

-         ensure that all security personnel found to have used excessive
force resulting in human rights abuses will be fully dealt with according to
the provisions of the law;

-         instruct the security forces to exercise maximum restraint during
demonstrations slated for next week;

-         ensure that those responsible for the murder of Ebrima Barry and
the rape of Binta Manneh are prosecuted to the maximum extent of the law
without undue delay;

-         ensure that all security personnel abide by the Constitution of
The Republic of The Gambia and all international laws and treaties of which
The Gambia is a signatory;

While awaiting your kind co-operation in this most urgent of matters, we
take the opportunity to sincerely thank you and your organization for your
concern.

                                                         Sincerely,

                                                         Concerned Citizens
of The Gambia.