GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Habib Ghanim, Sr" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 2000 01:58:16 -0700
AMC Congratulates the 1st American Muslim Leader to Deliver Benediction
at
the Republican National Convention

(Washington D.C., July 28) For the first time in the history of the
American
Muslim community, a Muslim will deliver the benediction on the first day
of
the Republican Party's National Convention, which will take place in
Philadelphia on Monday July 31st. It is the first time that a major
political party's national convention will be addressed by a Muslim
delivering the opening prayer. This truly is a remarkable milestone on
behalf of the American Muslim community.

Mr. Talat Othman, the chairman of the Washington D.C. based Islamic
Institute, will be delivering the benediction. A Muslim delivering a
prayer
at the most important convention of a major political party illustrates
the
growing recognition of American Muslims. It is clear that the Muslim
constituency in America plays a vital role in our country's political
process as the community is being increasingly courted by policy makers.
The
visibility and recognition of our community will rise with its increased

involvement.

"This is an opportunity to congratulate Talat Othman and the leadership
of
the Republican Party for taking such a major symbolic step. We hope that
the
precedent will be followed by the Democratic National Convention, said
Aly
Abuzaakouk, AMC's Executive Director.