GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jassey Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 2004 07:33:57 -0400
Comrades:

It is apparent that we have a problem in the opposition.  It is
of fact that some of us are unwilling to speak independently
because of the following unities:

POLITICS OF FRIENDSHIP--because we are friends, you can do no
wrong.  Because my brother is a friend to you, you can do no wrong.
Because we played soccer together, you can do no wrong.

POLITICS OF REGIONALISM--because we come from the same area,
you can do no wrong.  Because we went to school together, you
can do no wrong.  Because my brother or sister went to the same
school with you, you can do no wrong.

POLITCIS OF RELIGION--because we are of the same faith, you can
do no wrong.  Because you are of a different faith, I cannot work
with you.

pOLITICS OF TRIBALISM--because we are of the same
tribal linkage or speak the same language, you can do no wrong.
When one talks openly in addressing the negatives of tribalism,
he/she is a tribalist.  When one indicates that a Jola is different from
a Karoninka, he or she is called a tribalist.  I ate, slept, and played
with Jolas, Mandinkas, Wollofs, Sarahules, Manjankos, Serere, Fulas,
and Akus.  I know that these people have high qualities.  I also know
know that a Jola is not a Karoninka.  These two languages are totally
different.

If we are to evaluate our policies and act fairly, we would come
to the realization that the above unities are culprits to our indifferences.
How can one advocate for democracy, when he or she is indifferent?
How can one advocate for freedom, when he or she is exclusive?  How
can one call for one Gambia when he or she is disrespectful to the APRC
government and those that they disagree with?

It is frightening if we are unable and unwilling to debate with the ruling
government.  Why haul insults and throw stones at your enemy?  Are you
not making your enemy madder and stronger?  Are you not making those that are
independent be afraid of you?  How can you convince your doubters that
you are sincere?  How can you be trusted when you show no respect?

A leader is one who takes risks and unpopular doctrines because he or
she believes that political emancipation can never prevail if those
advocating for such are indifferent, intolerant, and disrespectful
to criticism.  It does not hold any water when one resorts to insults
because he or she disagrees with you.  This is unGambian1.

When an accusation is made, it is advisable to following these two
qualititative characteristics:

1.  RELIABILITY:

     a.   Verifiability--verify with reasonableness whether the source is true.
     b.   Neutrality--be neutral in evaluating the information.
     c.   Representational faithfulness--evaluate your decision base on
           truth and not politics of friendship, politics of regionalism,
           politics of religion, and politics of tribalism.

2.  RELEVANCE:

     a.   Timeliness--was the information provided to you in a timely manner?
     b.    Predictive value----can you predict the outcome of such information
           relative to future events?
     b.   Feedback--can the information provided give a feedback to you?

As we debate, I want to assure you that I will remain calm and respectful
to any criticism.  I hope those that I disagree with will follow the same trend.
We can never achieve our goals and objectives if we remain disrespectful.

For those of you who are sending me secret insulting mails, I want to assure
you that those messages make me laugh and are inspirational because they
convince me that your attitudes are unGambian.  Please continue with the trend.
You cannot deter me in standing tall when the tide is high.

Many subscribers have delisted because they said that Gambia-L subscribers have
not respect for each other.  This is why the subscriber list is getting smaller.

Naphiyo,
Comrade ML Jassey-Conteh