GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saiks samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 1999 13:32:04 PDT
TRIBUTE TO OUSMAN  KORO  CEESAY

Whether the dead of Ousman Koro Ceesay(KC)was politically motivated or not is
not of only his family.Some of us have spent many years working with KC as
political comrades,his mysterious dead leaves us with the assignment to find
out the truth ,we might  choose to betray this assignment,but some of us have
no choice but to take history seriously.
KC began his revolutionary activities as a member of the Movement for Justice
in Africa (MOJA-G),we work together in this movement and became at one time or
another close comrades.Time and again we have departed from each other as
political comrades , but it always happened on political principles,only to
meet again at the next cross road,but this time when we depart from each other
on political tactics,even though this time far away from each other,we were
never to meet again ,even though we might meet again in principle,when the
Gambia we all have been yearning for is finally in place.To the best of my
knowledge KC did not request his position within the AFPRC system,it was a
political assignment he was carrying out and I believed in this,there are few
with KCs class background who were loyal to the revolutionary struggle,if he
has personal ambitions,we all knew that he could achieve them on his own
without  help  from any of us.He became loyal to the AFPRC regime,and was
convince that he was involved in a revolutionary process,and the Gambia he
desired(A Gambia without poverty,with total political and economic
freedom,etc) could only come to be through this revolutionary process,such a
desire will alway bind us to this comrade,who died as the Finance Minister of
the  in the reactoinary AFPRC regime,of the country he loved so much.
To pay any political tribute to KC,in my opinion ,should be for political
consumption.His dead has helped to reaffirm the position of many who still
hold on to the believed that there is no short cut to revolution.Revolution is
born out of the day to day struggle of the masses for a better life.It is this
simple fact that make it possible to critic KC and all those who believed that
we are undergoing a revolutionary process under the leadership of the
reactionary AFPRC regime.This regime has never had a revolutionary program
me,it has even exhausted her revolutionary big talks,the regime  has become
more reactionary than ever before.Just take the recent attack on the Women
Liberation movements,the refusal of the regime to condemn the brutal murder of
a revolutionary leader,Ken Saro  of MOSOP,the leaders life style etc.This
government that is using millions paying parliamentarians who are the most
previledge in  our society, by nature of their class background,calling it a
democratic representation of the People.It is only the ordinary people
themselves who can represent themselves and not those intellectual bold -heads
who spent great much of their times shouting at each other at the expense of
tax payers.
Even when we enter history,we will find out that there are enough lessons to
learn,the Burkinabi revolution was one of such,it was not born out of the
struggle of the masses and thus could not be defended by the Masses,the result
been that one of the most sincere revolutionary leader that we have ever
known,Thomos Sankara became murdered without any genuine reason,this was not
done at the service of imperialism,but they jubilated,since the work was done
for them without even their presence.Sankaras insistent that it was
circumstances that led them to seize power through a military coup and that
this was not the intention of the revolution tells the simple truth that
they were aware of the many dangers that were involved.Sankara knew  of the
fact that grounding the revolution with the masses is the only way to defend
the revolution,even though he believed that this could not be done without the
party,he had a point in that REVOLUTION is the creation of struggling people.
When Murish Bishop was released by the Masses from the detention of his
comrades and he saw them firing at the Masses he shouted ,oh my God they have
turn their guns against the masses,here too we learn a lesson that revolution
can never be en-route.
Nearer home is the lesson of  Liberia,When Smauel Doe and his military thugs
came to power,MOJA-Liberia,among others surrender their whole organization to
these bulls-hitters,instead of insisting on the revolution.At the end many of
them became murdered,forced into exile etc and today MOJA-Liberia is no force
to  count on  in the political crisis of the country.This organisation was so
powerful,that it was much more nearer to revolution than to the thugs of
Samuel Doe
No one was so much informed of the Ghanian crisis in the Gambia as was KC,
through his personal/political relationship with the different actors that
were involved KC had a clear picture of the crisis between the Revolutionary
left within the JJ regime and the many reactionary military officers.The
Ghanian left became a tool of the JJ regime with the hope of turning that
so-called revolution to the interest of the masses but today many of them are
forced into exile,murdered,imprison etc.This  shows that the agenda of the
military can never be Revolution,the big talks are always temporal,they died
before even reaching their contradictions.
The truth surrounding the dead of comrade KC will one day come out,if what
former Captain Ebou Jallow claimed,that the murder  was political motivated
,which he claimed senior members of the AFPRC are awear of,if the AFPRC
government want us to dismiss this statement as unfounded it should then be in
their interest  to appoint an independent commission to find out the
truth.This should be the demand of all the democratic forces in the Gambia.I
hereby joined the Family of KC in their demand to know the thruth.May his soul
rest in peace !!

For Freedom

Saiks