GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamine Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 22:10:11 -0500
Comrades:

I was in tears after reading the tragic fire
that killed five helpless people, including
a German.  The fact of the matter is, the fire
department responsible for the Fajara area should
be charged with murder.  A fire truck coming to
the scene of a fire did not have water.  What I
asked?  This is inexcusable.  Are our fighfighters
properly trained?

Comrades,a tragic event of this magnitude should
never have occurred if the illegal government
has set priorities, instead of depleting our
resources and scaring away Gambians wanting to
work in the civil service.  Our infrastructure is
slowing going down the tubes.

Lately there have been numerous fires in The Gambia.
Some people have suggested that NAWEC's power failures
have caused these fires.  I believe that there are
improper building codes in terms of proper wiring.
There should be a separate builing unit that should
inspect houses built and thorough review of their
wiring systems.  Electricians should be held
accountable in the event of electrical fires.

Please read this excerpt from The Point.

"Fire Disaster Kills Five"

"A fire disaster last Saturday killed five (5) in an appartment on No 34
South Atlantic Fajara in the early hours of the morning. The tenant of the
house, Sophie Hydara, her niece, Sophie Sowe, a guest from Germany, Sainey
Jammeh her two maids Binta and were all burnt to death. The blaze, which
according to neighbours, began around 4 am, raged for two good hours during
which occupants were heard calling for help as they were trapped in the
house.

Some neighbours were still crying Saturday afternoon as they recalled the
cries of the trapped victims. Some of them however said that they only heard
the voices of Sophie Sowe and the two maids and not those of the elderly
people that is Sophie and the guest who was to return to Germany this week.
The neighbours had very harsh words against the fire department. They said
they called Bakau and had to go there physically only to be told that their
vehicles were out of order.

They were re-directed to Kotu and Serekunda and when the firemen came they
had an empty tank and spent an hour trying to break the entrance door until
the voices that were crying for help faded away gradually as silence
engulfed the cursed house. One neighbour told The Point that neighbours at
the compound were not responsive at the beginning and help only began when
other neighbours in the vicinity took upon themselves to start breaking the
burglar proof door of the verandah but failed short of dismantling the
entrance door of the house.

One hairdresser in the area, Ben of Ben Saloon brought cement bocks and
later an old car engine to break the entrance door without success. The
engine as well as the blocks are still visible by the door. NAWEC came later
in the afternoon and took away the burnt meter while police and firemen
interviewed the neighbours."

In conclusion may the souls of these people lay
in perfect peace.  I hope we can learn from this
tragic event.

Naphiyo,

Comrade M.Lamine Jassey-Conteh