GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Fye samateh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2006 15:01:05 +0100
 Folks join me to extend our deepest condolences to Ed Bradley's wife and
family.His death is a big lost for the journalistic world and may the
Almighty bless his soul and grant him jannah,Amen.

Niamorkono.

Thu
Nov
9
Ed Bradley Dies at 65 <http://www.usmagazine.com/ed_bradley_dies_at_65>

 <http://www.usmagazine.com/ed_bradley_dies_at_65>
FilmMagic.com

*Ed Bradley*, the award-winning CBS newsman and *60 Minutes* correspondent
died Thursday at the age of 65. Bradley passed away of leukemia at NYC's
Mount Sinai Medical Center, the Associated Press
reports<http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061109/ap_en_tv/obit_bradley>
.

During his career, Bradley won 19 Emmys, and was honored with the Lifetime
Achievement award from the National Association of Black Journalists.

Bradley grew up in a poor Philadelphia neighborhood, where his parents each
worked two jobs and 20-hour days. "I was told, `You can be anything you
want, kid,'" he once told an interviewer. "When you hear that often enough,
you believe it."

After graduating from Cheney State College, he worked as a DJ and news
reporter for a Philadelphia radio station, moving to New York's WCBS radio
four years later.

He joined CBS News as a stringer in the Paris bureau in 1971, transferring a
year later to the Saigon bureau during the Vietnam War, where he was wounded
while on assignment in Cambodia. Bradley moved to the Washington bureau in
June 1974, 14 months after he was named a CBS News correspondent. Bradley
joined *60 Minutes* in 1981.

Three of Bradley's Emmys were received at the 2003 awards: a lifetime
achievement Emmy; one for a 2002 *60 Minutes* report on brain cancer
patients and for a "60 Minutes II" report about sexual abuse in the Roman
Catholic Church.

Producer *Don Hewitt*, in his book *Minute by Minute*, was quick to
appreciate Bradley's work once he joined the *60 Minutes* crew.

"He's so good and so savvy and so lights up the tube every time he's on it
that I wonder what took us so long," Hewitt wrote.
[image: Page] Posted by Noelle Hancock at 2:11 PM    Permanent
Link<http://www.usmagazine.com/ed_bradley_dies_at_65>| 14
Comments <http://www.usmagazine.com/ed_bradley_dies_at_65>
Categories: Ed Bradley <http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrities/ed_bradley> |
Death <http://www.usmagazine.com/taxonomy/term/1411>