GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi M Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 14:55:32 -0000
COTE D'IVOIRE: IRIN Focus on the latest electoral crisis

[This report does not necessarily reflect the views of the United Nations]

ABIDJAN, 4 December 2000 (IRIN) - The smouldering remains of burnt tyres and
barricades made of crates, bits of metal and, on one road, freshly cut
trees, were a few of the visible signs on Monday of fresh political
upheavals in Cote d'Ivoire.

The latest crisis, which further threatens the stability and cohesion of an
already fractured society, is pegged to the Supreme Court's decision to
disqualify ex-Prime Minister Alassane Ouattara from the 10 December
election. Ouattara's candidature had been approved by the electoral
commission, but the court ruled that he had not provided admissible evidence
that he was an Ivorian national.

The decision is "illegal and completely arbitrary", Henriette Diabate,
secretary-general of the party Ouattara chairs, the Rassemblement des
Republicains (RDR), said on Radio France Internationale (RFI) on Friday. "We
have been patient," she said. "We have wanted to comply with the rules in
view of what is happening in our country. We cannot accept such a decision
and we affirm that the party's chairman cannot be excluded from his
country's political process."

The RDR reacted to the decision by withdrawing from the elections and
calling a demonstration for Monday 4 December. The government said at the
weekend that the demonstration was illegal and, on Sunday, Interior Minister
Emile Boga Doudou announced a ban on all anti-election protests from 5 to 11
December.

Following discussions on Sunday with the government, the RDR agreed to call
off the march and replace it with a public meeting at the Houphouet Boigny
Stadium in Le Plateau, Abidjan's central administrative district. However,
that meeting did not get off the ground, according to media sources. AFP
said the sound system failed and some RDR supporters insisted on
demonstrating. Towards 13:00 GMT RDR leaders and supporters left the
stadium, AFP reported.

Thousands protest against Ouattara's exclusion

Up to mid-afternoon, there were still thousands of protesters on the main
road near the stadium. Some vowed to continue the protest on Tuesday and
until they achieved their goal. "We want the presidency, we don't want just
the parliamentary seat," one youth told IRIN, while others nodded
emphatically.

"They are saying we are Mossi (Burkinabes), well this is Ouagadougou,"
another youth said in an apparent reference to claims by Ouattara's
detractors that he is Burkinabe and that his supporters are not true
Ivorians.

Later in the afternoon, thousands of RDR supporters could be seen walking
the 15-km stretch from Plateau to the outlying neighbourhood of Abobo, where
they were occasionally dispersed by bursts of teargas from patrolling
gendarmes.
Some had sticks, IRIN saw three traditional hunters ('dozos') with guns, but
many of the marchers, who included men and women of all ages, were unarmed.

At least three people were reported to have been killed.

In the middle-income neighourhood of Cocody, anti-RDR groups armed with
machetes and sticks lined some streets and massed in the compounds of
apartment buildings near the state television station. A source later told
IRIN that RDR protesters had been cleared from the area. At one point IRIN
saw two youths stripped naked surrounded by gendarmes. At least one of the
youths was wounded on the back and above his ear.

At a nearby intersection lay the inanimate body of a naked boy, who seemed
to be in his mid-teens. There was blood on the side of his head. There were
men armed with machetes and sticks near the body, while about 12 heavily
armed gendarmes stood less than 100 metres away.

In the compound of an appartment block in the same neighbourhood, two youths
struggled to escape from a cudgel-wielding mob. IRIN members of staff who
walked towards the scene were intercepted by young men who surrounded and
threatened them and demanded that they show their identity cards.

One member of the mob later sought to explain why the group was edgy: "We
don't know who is who," he said. "They (RDR protesters) have been causing
problems here."

International community expresses dismay

The international community has deplored Ouattara's exclusion from the
parliamentary race.

UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan said on 1 December that he was "dismayed" by
the Ivorian Supreme Court's decision. A spokesman for the Secretary-General
said Annan felt only an election with the broadest possible participation
would serve the cause of democracy and stability in Côte d'Ivoire.

The spokesman said the United Nations was reassessing its involvement in the
observation of the elections. The European Union (EU) was reported to have
suspended at least part of its aid to Cote d'Ivoire.

National unity under serious threat?

There is increasing evidence that the latest crisis transcends the issue of
Ouattara's participation in the parliamentary election and could even
threaten Cote d'Ivoire's unity.

A group of associations from northern Cote d'Ivoire, where the RDR draws
much of its support, warned the government at the weekend to resolve the
situation or order the "repatriation" of southerners from 13 districts of
the north, including Ouattara's home area, Kong.

Interior Minister Emile Boga Doudou said on radio that he had been informed
that state representatives in Kong had been asked to leave. He said he
immediately contacted "Gaoussou Ouattara, who is the elder brother of
Alassane Ouattara, to inform him of my concern" and that he had received
assurances from the elder Ouattara, who is the outgoing parliamentarian for
Kong, "that the administration would not be endangered".

In its edition of Monday 4 December, 'Le Patriote', a pro-RDR newspaper,
showed a map of Cote d'Ivoire with the north separated from the south on its
front page, with the caption "Cote d'Ivoire on the brink of secession".

Asked whether there was a real danger of this, RDR Secretary-General Diabate
said on BBC: "No, I think the secessionist threat can be serious if we are
not careful. The fundamental problems have to be eradicated."

North feels it is being punished, RDR official says

Basically, she said, northerners want people to understand that Cote
d'Ivoire "is one and indivisable and that there cannot be two measures, one
for people from the north and one for people from the south. I myself am
from the south and I know how people talk about northerners in my milieu, in
my family."

She said northerners saw Ouattara as a symbol. "He is being punished for
reasons which are not necessarily the fact that he is from the north but,
through Ouattara, an entire region, an entire people, are being punished."

In a reference to the post-election violence in which 171 persons are said
to have died, she added: "During the events that we experienced here, people
from the north were selectively killed in cold blood and are considered
foreigners, so Alassane is just a symbol of the struggle."

The violence occurred after ex-military leader General Robert Guei declared
himself the winner of the 22 October presidential election, from which the
Supreme Court also disqualified Ouattara, along with other major
politicians. Some people died when pro-Guei forces fired on demonstrators
calling for the election result to be respected. The protests forced Guei to
give up power on 25 October, paving the way for the winner of the poll,
Laurent Gbagbo, to be sworn in as president.

However, the RDR called for a rerun of the presidential election and
demonstrated to press its demand. This sparked clashes between supporters
and opponents of the RDR.

Gendarmes were accused of siding with the anti-RDR group: according to
witnesses, northerners were taken from their homes, beaten and taken to
police stations. Heaps of bodies were later found.

[ENDS]

[IRIN-WA: Tel: +225 22-40-4440; Fax (Admin): +225 22-40-4435; Fax (Editorial
Desk): +225-22-41-9339; e-mail: [log in to unmask]]

[This item is delivered in the "africa-english" service of the UN's IRIN
humanitarian information unit, but may not necessarily reflect the views
of the United Nations. For further information, free subscriptions, or
to change your keywords, contact e-mail: [log in to unmask] or Web:
http://www.reliefweb.int/IRIN . If you re-print, copy, archive or re-post
this item, please retain this credit and disclaimer. Reposting by commercial
sites requires written IRIN permission.]

Copyright (c) UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs 2000