GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M. Gassama" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jun 2010 19:21:37 +0200
Hi Suntou!
The foundations of your arguments are premised upon fallacious
grounds. Where, in everything that I have written about this issue, did
I complain about Freedom Newspaper? Where did I task the editor and
proprietor of the newspaper to offer redress? I challenge you to show
me. If you read something and don't understand it, it is best to
request clarification rather than jumping to unfounded conclusions. I
never complained about Freedom Newspaper or its owner. In fact, I
acknowledged the fact that Pa Nderry tried to correct Essa who would
not listen. I wrote: "Pa Nderry tried on several occasions to correct
you but you kept on." Didn't you read that? Did I tell you that I want
Freedom to take action? I challenge you to show me where I wrote that.
It was not Pa Nderry or Freedom that claimed that Raaki is owned by or
fronts for the Gambia Government. It was Essa Sey who did that. As
such, it is Essa that I tasked to "to use the same medium he used to
utter those words to take them back and
apologise to Raaki.com and those behind it." If Essa is honest, he
would realise that he made a mistake and uttered unfounded allegations
about Raaki and he would use the same channels he used to retrack his
statements. Whether Freedom will offer him the platform to do so is
between them since he understands the channels he went through to be
granted the interview in the first place. In short, I did not ask
anything of Freedom. I acknowledged Pa Nderry's efforts at correction.
I demanded a retraction and an apology from Essa.

When Essa was making the allegations, did he ask me where to make them?
Did he ask me whether he should go to Freedom and make the allegations?
He did not. Essa is on these lists. I therefore chose these lists to
address his allegations. Do you have a problem with that?

You wrote:
"It is democratic also for Essa to be suspicious of the ways Raaki has
been promoting issues of lesser iterest to human rights advocates
whilst tentatively promoting items deem pro-government propaganda."

You statement is based on flawed and watery pepper soup logic. Are you
telling me that you believe that Essa should, based on what he
suspects, go around slandering Raaki? Are you serious? Should I go
around telling people that Suntou is a thief just because I suspect you
are without having the slightest iota of proof that you are? Would that
be fair to you and would you accept that it is my democratic right to
do so? You know you wouldn't. Why should I? My rights stop where your
nose begins. While I may have rights, I also have obligations and it is
the fine line between the two that defines democracy. You have your
Suntoumana blog. Did you ask me what to put on it? Who told you that I
started Raaki to promote human rights issues? Raaki was started among
other things to promote Gambian culture and put Gambian media online.
If you want a human rights site, create your own. The day I want to
create such, I would not wait for you to tell me. Which "human rights
advocates" did I fail in not promoting their agenda? Are you one of
them? Do I have an obligation to promote your agenda or that of anyone?
Ask yourself that question my friend.

Who told you I am promoting pro-government propaganda? First, what do I
promote? Who told you I am promoting anything? I am rebroadcasting
material from the only TV station in the Gambia without any kind of
input from my side. Like I said before, I would rebroadcast material
from other tv stations if they were available. Go to Gambia and create
a tv station and I will rebroadcast material from your station. While
we are waiting for that, should I stop rebroadcasting GRTS material
just because you deem it promoting pro-government propaganda? Who are
you? Who deemed what I rebroadcast pro-government propaganda? Is it
you? Did you let me know you feel that way beforehand? Should I accept
it just because you deem it? Should I take your dislike of it over the
more than 1,500 daily visitors? Even if it is propaganda, is it
completely useless? Can't you view it with that mindset and extract the
bits that can be useful?

You also wrote:
"It is at this juncture an unpalatable thing to say, but Essa is not on
his own in seeing the actions of Buharry of late as a systematic pseudo
APRC propagandist. I am not saying this is the case, however, if all
his recent exposure of the photos from the Gambia and the new
propaganda portal etc, one has to ask when will the Raaki owner also
provide us materials that will expose the GREATER EVIL in the Jammeh
administration."

Suntou, you are engaging in doublespeak. In other words, you are
intentionally being ambiguous as you always are, speaking from both
sides of the mouth. If you want to accuse me of being a "systematic
pseudo APRC propagandist", be brave and accuse me. Don't hide behind
Essa and maybe non-existent phantoms to throw insinuations and in the
next breath say you are not saying this is the case. It makes you seem
two-faced. Stand for what you believe. If you believe that Buharry is a
"systematic pseudo APRC propagandist", say it. If not, then don't say
it. You cannot have it both ways. Suntou, I stand for what I believe
and I will to the best of my ability defend it. Everybody who knows me
knows that I am a PDOIS sympathiser. I am not a member of the party and
won't even be able to vote, but of all the political parties in The
Gambia, it is the PDOIS ideology I find most appealing and I have never
been afraid to manifest and defend this. If you go back over the years
on both lists, you will find that I have vigorously argued and defended
my beliefs, no matter how unpopular. Suntou, I am pseudo nothing. I
stand for what I believe. If I wanted to support the APRC, I will not
hide behind anything to support it. That is my God-given right of
choice and I will exercise it no matter what anyone thinks. You claim
to be advocating democracy. Wouldn't you fight for my right to support
the APRC if I chose to do so or are you just pretending to be a
democrat?

You ask when I will also provide material that "will expose the GREATER
EVIL in the Jammeh administration." What is the "greater evil" in
Jammeh's administration? What is the lesser evil? What is the greatest
evil? You have your Suntoumana, why don't you use it to propagate your
agenda and expose what you define as the "greater evil"? Why should I
do it for you?