GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Malanding S. Jaiteh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 12:05:55 -0400
Karamba,
It is sad to learn that you are delisting from the L if the Management does
not adopt a No-DELISTING policy. I must say I am one of your few admirers on
this list, not only for your intellect but for your ability to make your
point with respect and dignity. I think you will surely be missed if you
deside to leave.

Karamba, I repect your point on free speech and your desire that we do not
regulate it. Nevertheless, I do not subscribe to the notion of letting
people say what they want in any manner they choose including insults and
rants. In my few years of existence in this world I know no society or
community without rules of conduct. I believe that any gathering must set
standard that all must work to achieve or keep. And Gambia-l should be no
exception.
Form the societies we come from (our families, ethnic groups and Gambia) to
the ones we live in there
are regulations. I do not know any group of people who call themselves
civilized, mature and intellect who when they meet say whatever they wish to
whoever they want.

So it pains me to see seemingly great Gambian minds (over 500 of them)
coming together and just to haul any thing that they can pick in the name of
free speech. Where is calling each other names and all adjectives take us as
a people discussing our future?

As I said, I respect your views but I do not agree. I have explained my
action (removing Modou Olly-Mboge) to the management team and when I hear
from them I will let the entire list know why I did what I did.

Have a good day and I ask you to reconsider your decision.

Malanding Jaiteh