GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 21:35:42 EST
Prince,

All of my family were born in Georgetown, where my dad worked for some thirty
plus years as a groundnut buyer and general trader. I remember there were
many Aku families, including one Auntie Kaindeh, and a Coker family.
Auntie kaindeh used to be the one who would use a spoon handle dipped in
black pepper and vinegar to lift your tonsils up in the event that we kids
had sever sore throats. A few trips to her place for that, and i used to be
afraid to approach the woman even when i was not sick.
This Mr Coker was the headmaster of the primary school and his wife was a
teacher there also. My brother Musa Joh went to school there, and i started
my first year of schooling there. I was in the same class with Njameh Mboge,
Ex-president Jawara's second wife. I remember Njameh had great hand-writing,
and we used to write on slates. I also remember bribing her with my lunch so
she could write on my slate for me. Her mom ( Ya Arret Chareh) and mine were
friends, and her dad, Inspector Mboge was stationed there at the time. It is
amazing all the stuff I remember about that place. If anyone ever tells you
that little kids cannot remember things in their past vividly because they
were too young, do not believe it for a minute.
 Was this Mr Coker a relative of yours? I also know what Samba kuka is
because my dad used to sell it in his shop, and my mothers used to make "work
clothes" out of it.'

Jabou Joh

In a message dated 2/24/00 4:35:12 PM Central Standard Time,