GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2006 01:36:14 +0100
Again, many thanks.
I share yours and Bamba Laye's sentiments on the way to proceed. He wrote:
"..The way forward is for all to accept faults and shortcomings and chart
the
strategy for the achievment of our common goals in a different form".

In that effort, I think every voice should be listened to. The peculiarities
of Gambian politics are some of the reasons why you hatched the idea of a
broad opposition coalition as the best chance for booting the incumbent out
of State House. This, inspite of your knowledge of the potentially visceral
nature of ethnic politics.

But since the "majority" of all ethnic groups seem to have voted for a Jola
president, the idea of Mandinka nationalism remains simply hypothetical,
probably affecting nothing more than post-division fisticuffs within the
opposition.
But most importantly. Despite your efforts in STGDP, monies raised,
campaigns you organised, radio shows, countless meetings with opposition
leaders, petitions to senators, internet militancy, etc, the coalition
effort collapsed. Obviously, sentiments whose impacts are greater than all
the work quoted above must have come into play, and to affect the entire
outcome of the elections - postponing indefinitely Gambia's rendezvous with
a democratic revolution. We must have to look at these forces as necessary
correctives for a future mobilisation. There is a real need for
self-criticism here, and all of us need to speak our minds without fearing
bricks being hurled at us.

sidibeh