GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 15:15:08 -0400
Another issue that should make Gambians repudiate Yaya at the polls come
October 18, 2001, is the issue about the Massacre of our children on April
10 and 11, 2000 and the subsequent handling of that case. Need we inform
Gambians that on those fateful days Yaya ordered his security apparatus to
open fire on defenseless and innocent children in broad daylight? All for
what? To perpetuate a tyrant.

Yaya was on record telling his security apparatus to ‘fill the RVH mortuary
if the students struck on his government’. Yaya was on record saying that he
was micro-managing what was going on in Banjul on April 10 and 11, 2000,
while he was in Cuba. Even if the vermin denies that now, he CANNOT deny the
fact that he REFUSED to hold any of his officials on the ground responsible
for this heinous act against our children. Instead, the vermin blamed the
children and their parents for coming out to demonstrate against the murder
and rape of fellow students. They killed our children and then sought to
mock us. Right after the slaughter, Fatoumatta Jahumpa called a rally to
celebrate Yaya. Simply disgusting.

And to add insult to injury, the vermin put us through a bogus commission of
inquiry and coroner’s inquest, just to further add to the grief of the
families that lost loved ones. Top government officials like Ousman Badgie
went to the bogus bodies and tell blatant lies willy-nilly. In certain
instances, the vermin defied the Chief Justice and openly refused to answer
pertinent questions to the inquiries. After the coroner and the commission
were ready with their reports, the government rejected the reports with
contempt. Pap Cheyassin Secka will NOT even talk to the people about why
Yaya rejected the reports. But the brutal assault and torture on our people
did NOT end there.

Yaya went to his cohorts in Parliament and asked them to pass a Decree
immunizing his security forces from the heinous crimes they committed
against our children. To this day no one has been held responsible for this
crime. Yet the vermin want us to discredit the lives of our children and
just move on. Move on to where? So that his forces can kill 100 children
next time they are on a rampage? Forgiveness and reconciliation begins with
repentance. The vermin NEVER for one moment accepted responsibility. They
NEVER said that they were sorry. Instead what they did was unleash the
animals that murdered Ebrima Barry (catalyst of the April Demonstration) in
order to show that our children’s actions were NOT justified. Needless to
say, no one buys this gimmick. We know the people that killed Ebrima Barry
are as guilty as sin. Our children were justified to demand that the
government metes justice on the animals that murdered their colleague.

We should NEVER let these people to continue leading us. NEVER in the
history of our country have we experienced such atrocity from the very
people that are meant to protect innocent and defenseless children. We send
our departed children the wrong message if we allow child murderers to lead
us. We tell our children that we do NOT value their lives. Let us vote for
someone that will bring meaningful development to our country and would NOT
slaughter our children. That ridiculous arch at Independence Drive is NOT
worth a single drop of blood from a Gambian child. Most Gambians would
rather live in the Stone Age (without development) than have their children
slaughtered through the hands of some trigger-happy thugs working on the
orders of a loose-canon like Yaya. But Darboe is NOT offering the Gambian
people those extreme alternatives. Darboe will develop the country far
better than Yaya can even imagine. More importantly, Gambians can rest
assured that Darboe will NEVER order the slaughter of their children.
KB