GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
saul khan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 05:17:26 GMT
Karamba,

You're taking my critique the wrong way, but before we get lost in petty
"you said, you said," I want you to tell me where I'm wrong. You haven't
done that at all. So:

1. Am I wrong in saying that Latjor and Karamba are the two notable members
of the GLC. The only GLC function I attended was chaired by you Karamba
Touray. When I ask around about the GLC, people always say to talk to either
Latjor or Karamba. If you were just doing Latjor a favor by moderating the
'99 session, then things are even worse than I had realized. But say what
your role or status is.

2. Is my contention that the GLC in reality is an "umbrella" only in name
wrong? That no Gambian org neither recognizes nor defers to the GLC for
guidance or consultation. If I'm wrong in this assertion, name me one
Gambian org that is under the GLC "umbrella."

I subscribe to the idea of an umbrella group, and I'll urge you to go back
and read again what I've written, 'cause you're raising issues that I
neither said nor implied. I could care less how the idea of an umbrella
group came into being. The originator of the idea is less relevant than the
idea itself. I've only been a member of the G-L for the past seven/eight
months, so I wasn't aware of Latjor's original invitation. I learnt of the
idea of this "umbrella" from Dr. Sulayman Nyang back in Feb '98. The first
conference had coincided with Julie Baldeh's (the diplomat) birthday. Jewru,
the husband who I'm friends with, invited me. Dr. Nyang was really
enthusiastic about the idea at the time, but his feeling that night was
exactly along the lines I've outlined in my critique. It's basic
commonsense. If you want to bring together many orgs under one tent, then
you have to get each one involved in the planning, strategizing, and
implemention of the goals of the "umbrella." Any other approach would be
futile, and that's exactly what we have here. So what in the world don't you
understand about that Karamba?

I have no idea where you're getting the idea that I'm "be-littling" the idea
of an umbrella group. I said (the GLC as it is, )"is a noble idea gone
awry"! Go back and read my posting again. About whether the GLC was
exclusionary in it's approach, you should know that. I won't. See, I wasn't
even a member of the Gambia Support Group at the time the GLC was formed.
So, I wouldn't know about any invitations to that group. So, don't get any
funny ideas there. "I" certainly wasn't invited if you're using "you" like
in I as a person.

And about Latjor's "incompetence," or "lacklusterness," you can do better
than that Karamba!  I simply don't know where you're getting that idea. If
there's a problem I've alluded to regarding the GLC, it's the Charles Taylor
syndrome: "I've started this, so I'll be in control at all cost." You are
free to make your own deductions, but I've neither said nor implied that
Latjor or anyone involved with the GLC is incompetent. What I've highlighted
and what you've failed to address is my assertion that the GLC has
absolutely NO CREDIBILITY as an umbrella group. As a matter of fact, the GLC
is no more "umbrella" than I am the prophet Muhammed! That remains the
painful truth! I did not create your reality. You can continue to peddle
this false image that the GLC is an umbrella group. That's your prerogative.

In conclusion, if Karamba Touray has nothing to do with the GLC, and was
merely doing Latjor Ndow a favor by moderating sessions at GLC conferences,
then say that, and I'll spread the word around because no one else seems to
know that. Otherwise, I offer no apologies to you or anyone for that matter
for drying our dirty laundry in "public." I've been out of the lying
business a long time ago. I won't compromise that for you. I try to be as
realistic as possible with both my own problems and others I care about. We
can agree or disagree on what the aim of this "umbrella" is, but what is
obvious to anyone with eyes to see, is that this GLC is another white
elephant Gambian org that is mired in, or at least held hostage by egotism,
and thus failing woefully to live up to expectations. Talk about wasted
opportunities! You're right about my frustrations with Gambians generally.
Some day, I hope to write a book entitled "The Problem with Gambians." You
may not like what you read, but you can call me everything but a liar. So,
call it "self-righteousness" or whatever you want. Your choice. But I'd
still like to know what I'm wrong about.
I've had calls from the heads of two orgs I've mentioned in my piece. What
they told me is the diametrical opposite of what you're saying here. So,
maybe the fact that some people are owning up to their short-comings is a
good sign. So, no hard feelings Karamba, we've known each other for a while
now, but you're most welcome to continue that most comical of traditions:
being Don Quixote's disciple. There's nothing more delusionary than grown
people walking around pretending to be what they're not. We have a problem
confronting Yaya Jammeh precisely because of this attitude of every
nincompoop forming a meaningless org just to nurse his/her ego. That isn't
just frustrating, it's darn irritating. And if I see it, I'll highlight it.

Good night.

Saul.