GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Dec 2003 14:27:18 EST
Indeed, it is time for the Bar Association as well as all Gambians to wake up
and join the struggle against state sponsored terrorism. The reasons for all
Gambians to resolve to raise our voices against injustice and the disregard
for the rule of law that has become the order of the day in our country is
becoming more and more apparent every day.
The question to be asked is why would Ousman Sillah be shot and why at this
time? Ousman Sillah is a lawyer who, at this time, is engaged in defending many
clients who have cases where they are defendants against the state, and he is
doing his job to exornerate his clients. So let us ask ourselves this very
pertinent question indeed.
There have been similar crimes in the past that have never been investigated
by the state and one has to wonder why any citizen of any state would be
killed and there is no investigation? One has to know that the mere fact that there
is no satisfactory investigation in a situation where a citizen is mudered
provides a chilling answer, so let us hope that a satisfactory answer will be
forthcoming in this case otherwise those who engage in this sort of thing are
actually helping towards the generation of more and more evidence that ours has
been rendered into a lawless society where those who are charged with
protecting the citizenry and safeguarding their rights have turned into their worse
enemies.

Jabou Joh