GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Harona S Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 17:30:26 GMT
                                 MY VIEW

Female Circumcision/Female Genital Mutilation has been in existence for as
long as any of us can remember. As an African and having hailed from a
community whose very survival depends on the practice of FGM, I at times shy
away from the reality of the pain and suffering women/girls endour from
circumcision camps,hoping that will subside my fears and worries. God knows
it doesn't!
Our culture/tradition is an important part of who we are. Discarding it is a
folly, letting it lead you astray is even a bigger folly.The issue then
becomes of how do we combat this "societal evil"?. It all starts with
education,empowerment and spreading the word out. Remember, though FGM has
been with us for Hundreds of years majority of the people have little or
absolutely no idea of what it entails.Back in 1995 or so, we had the
"previlege" of forming one of the biggest funded youth projects for the
elimination of FGM in the Gambia. Boy it was TOUGH.The group was a branch of
the Foundation For Research On Women's Health, Productivity And The
Environment (BAFROW). The Youth Centre For Information and Counselling
embarked on massive radio programmes,lectures to schools,trekking the
provinces,seminars,printing and distribution of educational materials etc.
Though there has been an impact in increasing the awareness level of the
youth population, many volunteers and workers quit along the way for threats
of being disowned by there families.Being cursed and intimidated became like
hello to us. This is how sensitive this issue can be.
It's my view that any prog that will successfully see to the end of FGM will
have to target the youth. Reason being they are more educated and more
change oriented than are the adult population. The goal and focus has to be
in the long term. The issue sensitive as it's has to be approached with
tactfulness, show them the very good sides of their culture highlight those,
then try explaining to them in the best and nicest way possible how FGM can
affect their well-being. At this point an alternative must be given in place
of the popular practice, an example could be " Initiation without
mutilation". Whatever it is has to appeal to the community in question.
However, the major obstacle is the "Traditional Doctors" (N'YANSIMBA)who are
the Surgeons. What happens to them, their prestige , high standing within
the community and most importantly where would they generate as much money
elsewhere as they would being the Doctors of Circumcision? Clearly, these
are very experienced and skilled women. Their skills and abilities can be
redirected towards being masters of Initiation Without Mutilation camps
where the initiates can be given the full picture of what FGM is all about
with the absence of the knife.
It's our culture,be proud of it but let go.
Can FGM be eliminated? Yes it can!

Harona
Detroit,MI