GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:26:58 -0400
Batch, I think you are preaching to the wrong choir about truth and
objectivity and sentimentalism. Again, let us not get carried away. I am
posing specific questions to you people that you are unable to answer.
Chongan and Ebou Colly narrated torture they went through. You accuse them
as being worse torturers and murderers. On top of that, you are yet to tell
us a single incident of torture or murder these gentlemen were engaged in.
Yet you turn around to me and talk to me about being truthful and objective.

Knowing Chongan the way you claim to have known him just goes to undermine
your position. Because if you know the man that well and cannot prove that
he tortured someone worse than he was tortured, that tells me that what you
are accusing him of never happened. Going to Sam Sarr, why you dragged him
into this the way you did is also troubling to me. You see the man on TV and
you want to interpret that to mean that he is a torturer. Come on. How can
you equate what you saw on TV to what Chongan and Ebou Colly said? Remember,
Ebou Colly graphically narrated how Singhateh handcuffed Mamat Cham, dragged
him out of the cells, beat him senseless and parade him for a mock
execution. Chongan also narrated how Sabally called his name, how he was
handcuffed and beaten and how Yankuba Touray put a gun in his (Chongan's)
mouth. The duo also explained the horrendous conditions at the prisons.

Now, can you tell us a worse form of torture or murder Chongan or Ebou Colly
have been engaged in. How would you feel if I say that you are a murderer
without backing up what I said. And please quit these innuendoes about
Chongan's nicknames and people you saw on TV. Let us deal with specifics.
Sitting with people on TV is very different from what happened to Samuel Doe
for instance, where everyone saw that he was tortured. Do you have a tape
showing that Chongan or Sam Sarr tortured someone?
KB