GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 8 Oct 1999 10:09:44 EDT
||           ||  o   ||
                _o_,_\ ,;:   .'_o_\ ,;:  (_|_;:  _o_,_,_,_;
               (  ..  /     (_)    /            (        .
                          Bismillah irRahman irRaheem
           In the Name of Allaah, The Most Gracious, The Most Kind

Source and Acknowledgement:
Converts to Islam Page (refer to previous postings also)

GREETING THE YOUNG

It is considered a part of the Sunnah for adults to offer salaam to
children in order to teach them the proper greeting manners and to build
their self esteem. In both Al-Bukhari and Muslim, Anas (may Allah be
pleased with him) narrated that the Prophet  passed by some youth and he
offered salaam to them. Anas (may Allah be pleased with him) also
reported that the Prophet, used to do this quite often.

ETIQUETTE OF SALAAM

There are several etiquette's to be followed with respect to the
exchanging of salaam. The Prophet , for example said:

"The person who is riding should offer salaam to the one who is walking;
and the one who is walking should greet the one who is sitting; and the
smaller group should greet the larger one."   (Bukhari and Muslim)

Aside from the situations mentioned in the Hadith, the one who enters a
house should initiate salaam to those already there. Furthermore, if one
enters his home, it is preferable to offer salaam, even if there is no
one at home by saying "Assalaamu alayna wa ala ibadillahi assaliheen"
(i.e. peace be upon us and the righteous servants of Allah). With
respect to salaam between the young and the old, the young is expected
to begin the greeting.

 It is also considered improper for someone to meet a group of Muslims
and offer salaam only to some of them. The greeting must be for all in
the group. If a group of people offer salaam to an individual at the
same time, he may reply only once to all of them.

                  The head should never be bent as a sign of greeting.
We bend our heads only to Allah. It must also be emphasized that other
body gestures in any form or shape (for example, raising eyebrows,
extending the arms, smiling, winking, etc.), cannot replace uttering the
words of salaam.

                      Salaam for someone at a distance can be offered by
saying the salaam and waving the hand.Waving the hand alone, however, is
not considered a salaam.

                      Salaam is not only confined to the time of meeting
only but it extends to when separating as well. Abu Hurairah (may Allah
be pleased with him), relates that the Prophet  said:

                      "When one of you joins a gathering, he should
greet those present; and when he leaves them he should salute them,
because the first salutation is not better than the last one." (Abu
Dawud and  Tirmithi)

                      SAYINGS OF THE SAHABAH REGARDING SALAAM

                      Umar bin Khattab: "There are three ways of showing
sincere brotherly love: give him the  greeting of Salaam when you first
meet him, make him comfortable, and call him by his favourite names."

                      Sa'id bin al-As: "I owe my sitting-companion three
things: on his approach I greet him, on his  arrival I make him welcome,
and when he sits I make him comfortable."