GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 13 Aug 2006 20:00:30 EDT
Joe, thank you. I have the distinct feeling that the  tone in which the
delivery is encapsulated in that letter is not characteristic  of Halifa's writing.
Hence the possibility that it is taken out of  context.

    However, as a matter of principle I share most of  Halifa's contentions.
I have the believe that the problems that we face as a  nation are
fundamental, and are rooted in the institutions and structures that  govern our affairs
as a nation. This is why it is necessary that in order  to usher in the birth
of a third and final republic a rectification  program is germane.

    However, the opposition is not a monolithic group. The  stakes that some
have in an opposition coalition may be quite different from the  most
objective basis of bringing the opposition together. We have our own biases  and our
own prejudices. If we cannot agree, we should respectfully go our  separate
ways.

    As a people, we all have different notions of how to  move the country
forward. As a people, we all share different ideas of how to  uplift the
country. This is why there are different political parties with  different programs
and platforms. This is also why we have a constitutional  framework under which
the different parties will battle for the hearts and minds  of the Gambian
people. In the final analysis the Gambian people will make a  decision; they
will elect into office the political party of their choice.

    This is the principle that governs democracy. This is  the principle that
is embodied in our constitution, which determines the  relations between
those whom we elect to govern us, and also the relations that  exist between us.
Let us all respect the constitution and allow it to be the  arbiter.

     The creeping reality in the opposition debacle is  that, come September
22, there will be three presidential candidates in the  Gambian elections.
When everything has been said and done, I hope our common  interest will be the
norms and values that hold us together as a nation; and as  a diverse people
with one shared destiny. We are bound to live together; we  share the same
geographical space irrespective of all the differences that shape  our outlook and
guide our actions.

    Sometimes I wonder what it is that inspire people; what  motivates people
to give themselves selflessly in the service of other  people. Regards.

     Rene

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい