GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 17:17:12 +0000
Folks, please note that these are all seperate issues.  I had to send them
in piecemeal for the L to accept.  Thanks for your understanding.  Please
see the issue below.

ISSUE NUMBER 6/2004, 19-21 December 2004

Editorial

Zero Tolerance For Impunity

No To The Lawlessness Of The Individual Or The Government

No person on earth wants to be subjected to injustice even though some do
not have any qualms in perpetrating injustice against others once it serves
their individual interest. We have always emphasized that a government which
has no regard for laws designed to protect personal liberties becomes
tyrannical and totalitarian regardless of whether it is elected or not. In
the same vein, individuals who kill, burn, rape and torture others without
any regard for their personal liberties become common criminals who deserve
to be seen as the scum of society. The Gambia is moving towards the
lawlessness of government and the individuals. This is the wrong way to go.
Those who keep quiet and fiddle their thumbs while impunity reigns are part
of the problem and would have themselves to blame if the law of the jungle
gains the upper hand in this country. We the sovereign people of the Gambia
have the authority to determine what happens in this country. Injustice
anywhere must be the concern of the just everywhere. We should speak loudly
and clearly that to detain a person for more than 72 hours without taking
him or her before a court for a decision on his status is wrong.

We must equally say that to write letters to fellow Gambians and issue
threats to take their lives such as the one issued to the Independent
Newspaper is repugnant and outrageous. Anybody can take the law into his/her
own hands in secret. Anybody who is afraid to do anything in the open cannot
be seen to be powerful. Such a person must be seen to be desperate. Only a
desperate person can issue threats to journalists when one has every right
to use the press to defend their views. The press must be seen as a tool to
settle scores in a democratic society. In fact those who issue threats on
behalf of any political figure must be seen to be undermining the interest
of such leaders by making them accomplices of those who are potential
murderers.

How can one help the case or integrity of a detained person by committing
murder on his/her behalf?

It is such thoughtless and desperate actions which had plunged Sierra Leone
into the state it is today. Instead of doing good to others as one wishes
them to do on to you, people do the bad that they do not wish to be done on
to them. Ultimately the culture of revenge prevailed. Hands were paid for
hands, heads for heads, eyes for eyes, and legs for legs. Today, many
amputees are roaming the car parks and public areas to beg for a day’s meal.
They belong to different religions, tribes and regions of Sierra Leone but
are united by one common identity, that they are all victims of a senseless
civil strife. The wrong measures were utilized to fight a cause of ending
social injustice, poverty and marginalization. Consequently, the problems
increased instead of being solved.

What Gambians want is for the government to respect the law and take Baba
Jobe before the courts for any charges and leave the courts to display
independence and impartiality in trying the case. Secondly, they want all
Gambians to respect the lives and liberties of others and stop issuing
threats.

Those who kill and maim on behalf of their political leaders are simply
making them the best candidates for war crimes tribunals and truth and
reconciliation commissions. Foroyaa has zero tolerance for such people. We
hope no decent human being will tolerate them. We hope all decent Gambian
political leaders would denounce them, no matter whether their masters are
in government or outside government.

Baba Jobe’s Trial

Baba Jobe is actually responsible for running YDE -

Buba Baldeh

In our last issue we have dealt with the evidence-in-chief of the Acting
Director General of customs and exercise, Momodou Kaba Tambajang. Now we
shall start with his cross-examination by counsels Momodou Lamin Jobarteh
and Momodou Lamin Camara.

Cross Examination Of Momodou Kaba Tambajang By M.L Jobarteh

Q: Is it correct that you have a wealth of experience in the execution of
duties of a customs officer?