GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ansumana Kujabi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 May 2000 06:39:32 GMT
Gambia-lers, Sometime ago I wrote about Jammeh's Departure, and in that
piece, I lamented on the unpleasant options of how Jammeh must depart if a
free and fair election process could not remove him. And I am positively
certain that a free and fair election will never be a solution to Jammeh's
departure. I said this for the simple reason that the only way to have a
free and fair election to remove Jammeh from office is to invite Independent
International Observers to come and monitor the elections so that people
could exercise their Universal Adult Suffrage in the an atmosphere of peace
and tranquility without harassment and intimidation. And to invite these
International Independent Observers, Jammeh must give his blessing. And
knowing that after numerous mis-steps, killings, mismanagement, corruptions,
harassments, intimidation, fear, insults and total collapse of moral
etiquettes and human decency, Jammeh obviously knows that if a free and fair
elections are encouraged his days will be over in months to come. Therefore,
he will never invite Independent Observers to come and monitor our
elections. Even our so-called traditionalists who always believe that it is
God who makes a leader whom we all must follow till God ends his term, are
awakened and enlightened and even frightened that our beautiful country
could be on brink of Civil War like Sierra Leone.

In addition, after seeing Senegalese voted out their president through a
free and fair elections, our traditionalists have now also come to terms
with the situation they have at home. Having said all that, since Jammeh
will be reluctant to encourage a free and fair elections at home, he has no
other choice but to clinch on to power at all cost. And he is doing this to
divide us as a nation on tribal lines. His strategy is to support and
encourage tribal divisions so that if it comes to crunches, he could fuel a
similar situation in the country like what is currently happening in Sierra
Leone: The FODAY SANKOH scenario; and this is what could happen if Jammeh
knows that his days are numbered. Could we afford to have another FODAY
SANKOH in our subregion? Certainly not. But now what is the best option to
oust Jammeh? Should we still follow the TRADITIONALIST SCHOOL OF THOUGHT?
Well, if there is not other decent option, then we may have to do that.
MAY GOD BLESS OUR BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY.