GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Salam Sigma <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Dec 1999 21:24:36 EST
I think we are all in agreement that Yahya's name should not even come up
when the topic is President of the Century. Among all the dictators that we
have been blessed with, one will have to be very creative to come up with a
West African leader worthy of such a title. Even Kwame Nkrumah does not
deserve the honor. Not to discount his contributions during Ghana's struggle
for independence but Nkrumah is truly the first African dictator. Granted he
envisioned a united Africa before Bob Marley sang about it, Nkrumah turned
Ghana into a one party state and named himself president for life, a title
Idi Amin would later use. Thomas Sankara's legacy will always be soiled by
the fact that his ascension to power was by way of usurpation.
      If one is not able to come up with a president who really worked for
the betterment of the people he led and did not employ the usual paranoiac
tactics to hold on to power, any attempts to name ECOWAS President of the
Century will be nothing short of picking the best of the worst.
       Peace!
                Amat