GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"<awa Sey>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 2002 07:22:53 EDT
Dear Subscribers:

The List managers hereby, welcome all new subscribers who joined the list
during the last months. We hope that you find the List a useful forum to
discuss, debate and share information on and about The Gambia.

Due to recent issues and misunderstanding on this forum, we have once again
deemed it necessary to restate some noteworthy points:

1.  Subscription to Gambia-L is open, and free to all, but conditional upon
approval by designated list owners. The list administrators can still take
steps to ensure that individuals whose purpose is to cause mischief are
prevented from joining. Nevertheless it's hoped that our individual sense of
responsibility, fairness, and decency, coupled with the community policing of
the list will help prevent, and contain outbreaks of poor taste in our
debates.  MEMBERSHIP TO THIS FORUM IS A PRIVILEGE.  GAMBIA-L IS OWNED BY THE
LIST OWNERS (LIST MANAGERS). THEREFORE, DECISIONS REGARDING SUBSCRIPTION AND
TERMINATION OF MEMBERSHIP TO THIS LIST IS MADE BY THE MANAGEMENT, AND NOT
GAMBIA-L SUBSCRIBERS.

2.  Please refrain from name-calling and insults.  List Managers would,
without warning, unsubscribe violators of this rule.  Some people questioned
what we term as offensive language. The bottom line is that any language is
offensive if we would not like our kids to throw at us. These include but are
not limited to insults, swears and all those things most Gambians would call
"Neng Diro" in Mandinka or "Saaga" in Wollof.  In other words, language that
is not acceptable in every day Gambian public places.

We are aware that no one is perfect including us all but those who abuse
their privileges of being here on the Gambia-L and at the same time ignore
our warnings both privately and in public will be delisted without hesitation.

3. Subscribers who for any reason forward to the list postings from those
already delisted will themselves risk being unsubscribed indefinitely.

4. All those who threaten the existence of this list or otherwise impersonate
others by means of "spoofing" e-mail headers including addresses of other
subscribers, will be banned from resubscribing to Gambia-L.

5. As stated in previous correspondence, suggestions; complaints; and
problems regarding e-mail delivery into your mailbox must be sent to us at:
[log in to unmask]  Management WILL NOT respond to mails
sent to the List.  We will try and respond to your requests and suggestions,
as promptly as possible.

In conclusion, we would like to once again, remind all that Gambia-L is aimed
at providing Gambians and those interested in Gambia and related issues, a
means to communicate with each other, and exchange ideas and information of
common interest. In the process, it is hoped that a spirit of cooperation, of
exchange of ideas, of healthy debate and dialogue for the National good will
be cultivated. True, ours might not be one of the biggest lists, but we
certainly can make it one of the very best in cyberspace.  List management
will shortly inform you of its position with regard to those who were
recently delisted. We are corresponding with some of them behind the scenes.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Sincerely,

Gambia-L Management