GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dampha Kebba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 11:34:00 -0500
Saiks, another load of rubbish.  I will leave Ngorr to talk to you about
Moja-G, but will address your mumbo jumbo vis-ŕ-vis the elections that just
happened and your ridiculous and spiteful stance against the UDP-led
Alliance.  You can protest all you want that you did not mean to support the
APRC in their election bid, but that is exactly what you did and you know
it. Show us how many mails you sent to G_L during the election campaign
attacking APRC instead of the UDP-led Alliance. You ought to be ashamed of
yourself. You cannot even get your priorities right when faced with a choice
between child murderers and UDP.

I thought when I spoke to Gassama about the allegations that PPP sponsored
the UDP, people like you will get. Wrong again. I over-estimated you. When
it suits you, you distinguish between PPP, the Party and the people that
make up the Party. In other instances, you get lost in your own web of
semantics. You wrote: “The question was never Jawara as an invidual [sic],
but the PPP as a political party.” Then you wrote: “It was OJ who told the
Gambian people that it was the PPP that sponsored the first election
campaign of the UDP.”

In 1996, PPP only existed in your imagination. When you hear statements
attributed to OJ, you should use your brain to decipher whether it makes
sense what they said he said. If there was no PPP in 1996, is what we are
talking about not former PPP stalwarts? Let me break it down for you
further. In 1996 PPP was BANNED. DEAD. Some of their supporters went to
support UDP just like some former NCP supporters went to support UDP and
some former PPP supporters went to support APRC. Now, you are telling us
that because of that support you would rather have a child murderer lead us
than vote for Ousainou Darboe? Give us a break. There is no intellectual
integrity in your arguments.

You have never brought any tangible proof to show that UDP wanted to bring
back PPP to power. Matter of fact, it did not take long for nature to run
its course and show the whole world what Party wanted to bring PPP to power.
Of course it is APRC that is bringing us PPP. When I asked you people during
the campaign why you were not criticizing APRC for the numerous PPP people
in their fold, none of you got back to me. Well, the cat is now out.
Ousainou Darboe never said he was going to forget about all the PPP ills and
return people their assets. It is Yaya who is doing that. People they
branded as corrupt are now hailed as heroes and being reappointed to their
posts and having their assets returned to them. Who is returning the country
to the PPP days?

You engage in your sloppy semantics again when you say: “I don't believed
that the issue in hand has to do with Jawara going to bed with the APRC but
he returning back home after years of exile, if I have it right.” Utter
rubbish. You are talking about one and the same thing, unless you want to
tell me that you were born yesterday. If you think that Jawara is going to
go home and do something detrimental to APRC, then I think I need not
continue this discussion with you. Then I will know that I really misjudged
you. I know you have it right and you know that too. What you have to deal
with is the fact that if Jawara returns, you have to quit your nonsense
about Jawara (PPP) and the UDP being in bed. You will have to focus your
hatred for PPP on APRC because that would be the home of PPP without a shred
of a doubt.

You also know that it is not true that PDOIS had ‘similar problems’ with PPP
as UDP is currently facing with the APRC/IEC. Either you do not understand
UDP’s arguments or you are deliberately twisting facts.  Besides, you are
comparing apples and oranges. What you need to compare is how both UDP and
PDOIS dealt with problems they had with APRC/IEC. You do not need to go back
to the PPP days. Few months ago PDOIS boycotted an election in the country.
Are you aware of why they refused to partake in that election? Why did you
ignore that inconsistency and instead bring this smokescreen about PDOIS
problems in the former regime? Did we have an Election Decree in 1992? How
many Casamance people were caught in 1992 with Gambian documents? How many
voters ‘moved’ from Serrekunda East (where OJ had a healthy majority) to go
to Serrekunda West, where Gibou Jagne (NCP) was giving AA Njie (PPP) some
problems? You do not know what you are talking about.

I was hoping that you will bring up the ridiculous examples PDOIS gave about
elections that were overturned in The Gambia. What you failed to mention in
your piece was that these elections were NOT held during the AFPRC/APRC/IEC
era. Need I tell you that we have a totally different judiciary now and
totally different rules? Apples and oranges again. You should show us how
many elections were overturned during the tenure of the AFPRC/APRC/IEC. That
is what is relevant here. Not some ludicrous story about an election
petition during a totally different era. To counteract those PDOIS examples
I can also cite you the election petitions of Sam Sillah (PPP) against Dembo
Bojang (NC) and also another brought by MC Cham (PPP) when he lost in 1992.
Both Sillah’s and Cham’s petitions were rejected. Meaning, the court did not
overturn those election results. Now, does that mean that if someone takes a
petition to the court after the legislative elections the courts will reject
them? This is preposterous. It is equally absurd to say that because some
petitions succeeded in 1992 others will succeed in 2002. You ought to use
your brain when you hear something from PDOIS. Don’t just swallow it and
willingly regurgitate it here. PDOIS themselves challenged the registration
of some people in Banjul in the early 1990s (during the mayoral elections)
and the challenges failed. Going by their reasoning you cited in your piece,
it is foolish to partake in these challenges. You follow my point?
KB