GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jabou Joh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 19:27:18 EST
In a message dated 12/17/03 5:51:35 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Jammeh’s actions against his own party stalwarts demonstrate two astute
> lessons howsoever tenuous the situation appears politically: legal
> action against his own party members restores a moral order which shall
> enhance further glasnost, accountability and probity.  On the other
> hand, the shake up shall give room for much needed reforms within the
> government in order to cultivate legitimacy and transparency.

Ebou,

Jammeh's so-called "operation no compromise" is out of desperation. The IMF
and donor agencies are breathing down his neck to account for a lot of
unexplanable financial misconduct, and the books at the central bank have not been
closed for years . Some Donor agencies have withheld desperately needed funds
from Gambia because of this economic mess. They must give account or sink.

It is obvious that Jammeh and his cohorts had set up what they thought was an
operation to take over and monopolize commerce and import goods without
paying customs duties because how else can they justify the number of shipments
that Baba Jobe cleared without paying taxes and  the MD of Ports letting him
clear goods without paying  customs duty and calling it "a practice he inherited
when he came to the office?" It appears from the unfolding story in court that
such a "practice" was something that came from a source they did not dare
cross and that is why Jobe was able to continue to clear goods without paying duty
on them.
If others did this as well, they were following the example of the powers
that be, and it was one big party that has come back to haunt them.

Now that the heat is on from outside sources without whose loans and AID
packages this regime cannot continue to be econimically viable, Jammeh is
sacrificing his associates in the hope of appeasing these people.

Unfortunately, even this charade will not save the situation because our
economy is too far gone, and these people are just now realizing that there is not
an ensless source of money for them to continue to squander senselessly, and
that one cannot just borrow money in the name of a country without being
accountable for it.
That is the situation.

If the intent is to gain legitimacy and transparency, let Jammeh include the
exposure and prosecution of those who killed Koro Ceesay, a crime  you
detailed for us right here on Gambia-L and it is in the archives. Let them also
expose and prosecute those who gave the orders to shoot, kill and maim our
children. Let them really clean house  because that si really what it will take,
holding everyone under teh gun. BUT,  if they did that, no one will be left in the
house I'm afraid. You and them  must be counting on simplistic minds to be
swayed into believing the bogus story that they are doing this for legitimacy and
transparency.

What is happening is that some of the collaborators are being used by Jammeh
as scapegoats so that he can save himself, and the sad part is that he will
find others to take the places of these scapegoats because for some of us,
unfortunately, a so-called position is worth their self respect every time.

Jabou Joh