GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gibby Cham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 09:05:13 -0800
Thank you very much Ndey. You have said it very
clearly, and I hope Mr. Jallow is reading your
posting. It is well said. School him please.

Now lets compare to what Ebou Jallow did. Was he there
for the public interest or his own private interest. I
guess he can answer this for himself.

--- Ndey Jobarteh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

<HR>
color=#000000 size=4>
<P>Ngorr,</P>
<P>Thank you for bringing up this statement made by
GASSA. I just could not ignore this statement because
it brings us back to the issues of corruption,
mismanagment and personality politics. The process of
making and maintaining the distinction been private
and the public has been a challenge as we are seeing
in GASSA’s statement. We can see problems faced by
most individuals and especially the state in
untangling private from public interests.
Nevertheless, the problem of corruption in Gambia
continues to be a severe one due to the same remarks
and the unresolved contradictions between public and
private roles. This reflects in all the speeches and
statements made by Jammeh and his culprites.</P>
<P>The challenge to the Jammeh regime of governance
posed by corruption is that of distinguishing public
and private roles and interests. I can see GASSA’s
confusion in his statement because most people
especially public servant has this problem or shall I
say tends to ignore it.</P>
<P>Public officials and indeed, people acting in
almost every capacity have certain responsibilities,
which come with the role, they are playing. By
agreeing to serve in a certain role, people agree to
serve the interests, which that role was created to
fulfill. When the private interests of a person
occupying a certain public role conflict with the
duties and responsibilities of that role,
opportunities for abuse arise. In cases where public
officials pursue their private interests at the
expense of the public goals designated for a specific,
not only are those goals not met, but also this
failure undermines both the political legitimacy of
the system and respect for the rule of law. In this
case, the personal agenda of a sitting President, or
at least a group of overzealous advisors, became the
unstated policy, and only the most aggressive and
sustained intervention by the press, opposition, and
the Judiciary exposed the scandal and brought some of
the key offenders to justice.</P>
<P>People enter into relationships with each other
which, when routinized over time, give rise to
expectations about how people ought to behave. When
these relationships are generalized across society,
they create group expectations about how people in a
certain role are expected to act. So, in taking on a
role like that of a public official, one accepts
special responsibilities, which alter obligations and
duties for people who enter that role. This is where
the public interest overshadows the private interest.
If we cannot differentiate the two then I guess and
believe we are in serious trouble.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>The Struggle Continues!!!</P>
<P>Ndey Jobarteh</P>
<P></FONT><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>In response to Gassa,</P></DIV>
<P>Gassa: &lt;&lt;What constitutes national interest
can be easily broken down to community interests and
again to individual interests. I am yet to meet
someone who would willing and readily&nbsp;forsake all
his/her individual interests for all our national
interests. Have you met one before? <EM>As far as I am
concerned, some of my personal interests are more
important to me than some of the
national&nbsp;interests</EM>.&gt;&gt; Italics
mine.</P></DIV>
<P>Which of your personal interests are more important
to you&nbsp;than some of the national interests?</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>May i remind you of an old Latin wiseacre: <EM>in
vino veritas. </EM>I'll be freer this weekend -
inshallah - to go through all of the stuff you've been
writing of late.</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<P><BR><BR>&nbsp;<BR><BR></P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
download of MSN Explorer at <a

go to the Gambia-L Web interface
at:
http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/archives/gambia-l.html
To contact the List Management, please send an e-mail
to: