GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lamine Conteh <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 21:58:31 -0500
Dear Mr. Source:

I want to make myself clear that I never said Mr. Cheyassin was a brilliant
and sincere Attorney General.  I said: "Cheyassin is a sincere and
brilliant Gambian."  Please do not quote me wrong.

My dealings with Mr. Secka are personal and are by no means a betrayal to
my fight for democracy.  In fact, I said Cheyassin's love for power will
destroy him.  If you want to be fair in your reporting, may I suggest that
you read clearly and not read things out of contest?  I may disagree with
some people, but I will still maintain that human feeling between us.  I
came to know Cheyassin when I was 17 years of age.  I therefore, maintain
that human feeling between us.  Disliking someone politically, does not
been they are not brilliant to some extent.  I made an error in calling
Cheyassin "sincere."  It should have read he was "sincere."  Please do not
jump to an imaginary conclusion in thinking that I am defending Cheyassin.
Hitler was a brilliant German and a sincere thug to his shameless
propaganda against the Jews.  Cheyassin is a brilliant Gambian and a
sincere thug to the dictator of Kaninlai.

I wrote few days ago about the nonsense in trying to change the
constitution.  I said the Gambian people overwhelming voted for a new
constitution, and thus should not be amended without their approval.  I
have not done any disservice to the Gambian people in calling Chayassin a
brilliant Gambian (not a brilliant and sincere Attorney General).  I will
agree with you that I made an error in judgment in calling him sincere.
Cheyassin was sincere, but has turned on the very principle that many
Gambians admired him.  He has sold out to the dictator.

Mr. source, it is proper that you come to a good conclusion in editing a
response from any source.  Please read thoroughly and make a good
conclusion before you set to print.

My cause of action in setting the Gambia to a democratic path started on
July 22, 1994.  I am not a "Johnny come lately" to this struggle.  I
welcome any disagreement with any Gambian.  In fact, they make me
understand to not be too hesitant.   Please understand my point and correct
me if I am wrong.  Politics is a very dangerous game.  We must be willing
to compromise.  Pap was not present at the scene of the tragic deaths of
innocent Gambians.  Tamsir Jasseh was.  However, I condemn Pap for keeping
quiet.  Does this mean that I do consider him a brilliant Gambian.  Does
this mean that he cannot be tried for been an accessory to the fact?  Well,
I am not a lawyer.  But if it has been substantiated that Pap was involved
in this horrible crime, he is equally as responsible as the dictator and
his entire army of thugs.

Please take comfort and let us move on.  I will never change because of my
friendship with Cheyassin.  I hope one day I can tell him how he betrayed
his admirers.  Does this negate the fact that he is a brilliant Gambian?
Please do not misquote me.  Cheyassin is not a brilliant Attorney
Generally.  One can be brilliant personally, but dumb analytically.

May I rest my case?

Naphiyo,

Comrade M.Lamine Jassey-Conteh

Mr.
> >Conteh provide the L, with evidence to the effect that Cheyassin has,
> >indeed, been sincere and is dedicated to the cause of freedom for the
> >multitude of Gambians.  I would also like to hear from Mr. Conteh
> >concerning the role of Cheyassin during the April 10 and 11 murder of
> >defenseless Gambian children.  It is very sad to hear from someone who
has
> >been, up to this moment, one of the most vocal members of the Gambia-L,
> >giving his comfort to one of the most vindictive, corrupt and
power-hungry
> >members of this illegal regime.  Mr. Jasseh-Conteh owes us answers to
these
> >questions.  Thank you

> if you have problems accessing the web interface and remember to write
your full name and e-mail address.

--- Lamine Conteh
--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.