GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sanusi Owens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 20:07:17 +0100
Joe

  You wrote:

  "If unity is not possible, we got to move on and make hay while the sun shines."

  Indeed! Too much bickering about NADD vs UDP/NRP is giving the wrong signal. I am sure you will jubilate if UDP/NRP Alliance or NADD wins the Presidential Election. Don't forget that the winner needs only a single majority to capture the Presidency and it is still possible for either UDP/NRP ALLIANCE or NADD to win the Presidency.

  We need to minimise our criticisms of the various Opposition Parties and focus on the arch rival-President Jammeh and the APRC.  Whilst NADD and UDP/ALLIANCE can't agree about having a Single Candidate for the Presidential Election, the doors for future negotiations should not be closed because both parties will have to co-operate when contesting for the Parliamentary Elections scheduled to take place in December. If too much bad blood is littered between NADD and the UDP/NRP Alliance, then hopes of having compromise Candidates for the next parliamentary elections are unlikely.

  Regards

  Sanusi

Joe Sambou <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Ndey, my post was just to answer to Sidibeh's question why the talks are now
in the open as opposed to privately. I have long focused on helping NADD,
knowing that after three years of negotiations we were not going anywhere.
Currently, who is negotiating between the two, none. Thus, we have to focus
on supporting our conscience because time is not waiting for us. Trust me,
I changed my focus and energy moons ago. Yes, those that wish to continue
to negotiate are Gambians and are free to continue, that is if any is
currently engaged in such. If unity is not possible, we got to move on and
make hay while the sun shines.

Chi Jaama

Joe