GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Alhassan Sisay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Dec 2005 20:11:20 -0800
        Well before the "wild geese" met around that table where the Berlin conference took place,the hunger for expansion and control of territory or economy has always been on top of the agenda as far as "domination" and "exploitation" are concerned.The latter have always been masked behind the word "exploration" during the times of famous Mongo Park and other explorers.
  This is the very essence behind critical analysis from authors like Basil Davidson.Basil's book was relayed on Planet TV in the early 90s. I believe it is still being reviewed by other documentary TVs around the world.In this documentary Basil touched on a variety of important historical episodes and topics.These included pre-colonial,colonial and post colonial Africa.In that very piece the real facts surrounding the death of Patrice Lumumba under the harsh Belgian rulers have been exposed beyond reasonable doubt. A similar story like the one being depicted in this piece on Latvia-Gambia was narated by the Planet TV commentator ie The French colonialists wanted to work out a deal with the British colonial masters on the same small Gambia.It was narated on that TV documentary ie they the French prefered The Gambia in exchanged with Ivory Coast.  Interesting!
  This same vein stirred Walter Rodney's book...HOW EUROPE UNDER DEVELOPED AFRICA? Seeing the so-called Rayal army come all the way from Latvia to Gambia is a stark reminder!
  In history The Gambia has an important position regardless of its size.I remember a renowned Gambian scholar selling the country's good image by refering to the river as a "counter" which the British used to conduct trade from Barra to other parts of Africa.Indeed there is a reason why Mongo Park traversed our territory all the way to Niani Karantaba at a time when yellow fever was taking its toll on European colonial masters who came to conquer and control.
  The most recent thing between The Gambia and Latvia is when Banjul decided to establish diplomatic relations with Latvia in 1997/98.There may not be present day historical links between the two,however, as far as diplomatic relations are concerned...yes The Gambia is linked to Latvia.
  If history can reveal to us that the ancient phonaecians are the ones who erected the stone circles in Wassu near Kuntaur, then hearing something about our country having been colonised by Latvia can as well be expected.Well thank God that Latvia was choked by the former USSR all alone.The Gambia is lucky not to have been through a stratified layer of colonialists!
  It is an interesting topic that we can explore.Revisiting the past as anthropologists and historians can help develop both social and physical science in our schools. Why not? Lest we forget that Cheikh Anta Diop did his best to ascertain the fact that the Pharaons(past powerful kings in Egypt or Misr) were BLACK AFRICANS.
  Have a good night.

Archibald Graham <[log in to unmask]> wrote:   Excuse my ignorance, but it was news to me to learn that Gambia was once a colony of Latvia and was wondering if anyone on the list can substatiate or otherwise dispute the following assertions relating to Gambia's history:

1:
"XVII Century

"In the Polish-Swedish war (1600 - 1629), Sweden wins northern Latvia, while the provinces of Kurzeme and Zemgale are united into a duchy loyal to the Polish-Lithuanian empire. In time the former unit becomes quite powerful, especially during the reign of its most successful leader, Duke Jacob Kettler (Jekabs Ketlers). Trade is expanded to all corners of the world; Latvian pines become masts for English warships. The duchy gains a colony: the island of Tobago in the Caribbean (later exchanged for Gambia in Africa).........."

http://www.angelfire.com/ks/kristucitis/ks6.html

2:

"In 1651 the Duchy even gained its first colony in Africa, St. Andrews Island at the Gambia River and established Jacob Fort there........."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courland

3.

"In 1641, JACOB KETTLER inherited the Duchy of Courland. He was a very energetic man, built up a navy of 61 ships and pursued a colonial policy; Courlanders built FORT JAKOB on the Gambia river in West Africa (1651) and another colony on TOBAGO in 1652, attempting to get a share in the African slave trade........."

http://www.zum.de/whkmla/region/eceurope/courland16411795.html

いいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいいい