GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Muhammed Drammeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Dec 2016 15:41:56 +0000
You have spoken and we can only say thank you for this brilliant piece of knowledge.

Muhammad Bai Drammeh

 Subject: [G_L] IS RECONCILIALAION POSSIBLE AFTER JAMMEH?
 To: [log in to unmask]
 Date: Sunday, 4 December, 2016, 13:40

 Reconciliation or
 Revenge: Gambia’s Post-Election Dilemma

 By Dr Ebrima
 Ceesay, UK

 Thursday
 1st December 2016 will always be remembered as an
 historic day in the annals of the Gambia’s political
  history. It marked the beginning of a new dawn of democracy
 in our country, as the opposition coalition, led by Adama
 Barrow, defeated President Yahya Jammeh to win the
 Presidential race. As President-elect Adama Barrow is set to
 be inaugurated at State House
  in January 2017, thus ending the 22-year old misrule of
 outgoing President Jammeh, in my view, there are at least,
 eight high-priority and all-important areas that need to be
 addressed (by the new government) immediately, namely: 1)
 selecting his (Barrow’s)
  members of cabinet (preferably a gender-sensitive one) to
 ensure a smooth three-year transition period; 2) promoting
 national reconciliation through confessions and ownership of
 one’s crimes (forgiveness but ownership and accountability
 as well); 3) focusing
  on Gambia’s prospects for governance reforms; 4)
 revisiting Gambia’s current economic situation – assess
 the state of the Gambia’s economy and economic reforms; 5)
 analyzing and improving civil-military relations in the
 country; 6) challenges of establishing
  security and safety; 7) challenges of restoring rule of law
 and strengthening Justice; and 8) initiating a range of new
 capacity building programs to support both local and central
 governments.

 It is an
 understatement to say that the incoming transitional
 government faces a number of daunting post-election
 challenges,
  and the questions now arise: Will the coalition government
 have the capacity to address these challenges? Is
 reconciliation possible after Jammeh?

 The road ahead, no
 doubt, is going to be tough. Yet, it is also not an
 unfamiliar road. We can learn valuable lessons from
  countries like South Africa, Liberia and Tunisia. First and
 foremost, Gambians should not be naive about the scale of
 the challenges ahead. The Gambia indeed faces significant
 challenges, following the historic election of
 1st December, and the
  new transitional government would have to do a lot of
 rebuilding. The real challenge facing the country, now that
 the polls are over, is to have a smooth and peaceful
 transition to the new administration, under the leadership
 of the likeable and humble President-elect
  Adama Barrow. Barrow’s government is supposed to last 36
 months, and it has to be pointed out that for these three
 years, we will be in uncharted waters. Therefore, coalition
 leaders must be effectively organized, united in spirit and
 purpose, as any mistrust
  among coalition partners or any misstep by these leaders
 could derail the transition. President-elect Barrow must
 reunite a country that has been badly divided and polarized,
 especially in recent months. Although the 2016 Presidential
 election was relatively
  peaceful; yet, it would be an understatement to say that
 the country is still deeply divided and ethnically
 polarized.

 The Gambia,
 regrettably, has been fractured along ethnic and religious
 lines, to a large extent, because outgoing President
  Yahya Jammeh used to mix politics with religion, ethnicity
 and economics.
 While Christians were being marginalized and discriminated
 publicly by state policy, it was in fact, the Mandinkas who
 bore the brunt of Jammeh’s hatred and brutality. Jammeh
 had used bigotry, derogatory comments and openly promoted
 hate speech, as well as
  incited hatred against the Mandinkas. He willfully promoted
 hatred towards the Mandinkas and sadly, the country is,
 today, to some extent, still polarized along ethnic lines.
  Gambians used to be totally at ease
 with
  one another, but the increase in intolerance along ethnic
 (and religious) lines became noticeable under Jammeh.
 Gambians were pretty good at getting along with one another,
 and at supporting each other, but under President Jammeh’s
 divide and rule strategy,
  many Gambians did not get along, due to the politics of
 polarization in the country and the fact that moderate
 voices in the Gambia had lost influence. Thus, President
 Jammeh, to some extent, succeeded to pit, not just ethnic
 groups, but also blood families,
  against each other.

 Therefore, it will
 take perhaps several years to assess the full extent of the
 damage wrought by President Jammeh on Gambian
  society, but this much is already very clear to me: the
 moral decadence in our society today cannot be solely blamed
 on Yahya Jammeh. Before judging Jammeh, and the evil he
 represented, we (Gambians) should properly look at ourselves
 in the mirror. The level
  of the erosion of moral standards in our society under
 Jammeh was just mind-boggling. Our religious leaders totally
 lost moral authority. When you watch GRTS, you will not fail
 to notice that shame and shamelessness became the order of
 the day in Jammeh’s
  Gambia. The effects of the moral decadence in Gambian
 society could be felt everywhere. Traditional family values
 declined considerably. Irresponsible parents and kids
 lacking proper upbringing and home training have become more
 prevalent these days to the
  extent that indiscipline, mediocrity, sexual promiscuity
 and immorality among youths in the Gambia have now become
 the norm in the society.

 The root causes of
 the Gambian crisis are multi-faceted and complex, spanning
 political, religious, social, psychological,
  sociological, economic, and institutional factors. I can
 easily identify more than a dozen variables that directly or
 indirectly impact on the Gambian crisis. There has been a
 significant shift in the attitudes and values of Gambians
 since 1994. Jammeh’s rule,
  therefore, has had sobering effects and changed our lives
 and Gambian minds in ways that would be unimaginable
 pre-1994 days. In effect, Jammeh (or his reign) has
 undermined our social, moral and religious values and this
 has negatively impacted on our collective
  behavior as a people, the consequences of which manifest
 themselves in the form of this moral decay that is gripping
 our society today. The Gambian society is bleeding and
 breathing pain. Even more striking are the glaring changes
 and shift in some of our
  core political, religious and social values.

 Jammeh’s actions
 over the years, have had a corrupting influence on culture
 and cultural values. The social fabric itself
  has been destroyed to the extent that restoring this
 damaged social fabric, through reformation of our attitudes,
 must be the sine qua non for an effective solution to some
 of our many problems. Our social cohesion has been
 undermined and our sense of national
  identity destroyed. Large-scale changes in our values can
 be observed across the country and the shift in attitude can
 be attributed to several factors such as human greed,
 hypocrisy, dishonesty, immorality, corruption and
 selfishness. Yet, the myriad crises
  afflicting Gambia can only be solved with a holistic
 approach, not a piecemeal one. Tackling the Gambian crisis,
 now that Jammeh has been unseated, will require a
 comprehensive intervention strategy.

 What has happened
 to our good virtues, moral purity, moral straightness, which
 in fact, are at the very heart of both Islam
  and Christianity? The Gambian society today, I reiterate,
 is so infested with human greed, indiscipline, sexual
 promiscuity, stealing, cheating, moral laxity, hypocrisy,
 jealously, hatred, immorality, corruption, selfishness,
 dishonesty, mediocrity, manipulation
  to the extent that I would even argue that the moral
 decadence in our society today is perhaps one of the most
 important issues facing our people as a nation. The moral
 decay (or this cancerous growth) in the Gambian society, in
 my view, even ranks above the
  challenges the country faces in the health, education,
 agricultural sectors.

 As Gambians took to
 the streets in a joyous celebration of Adama Barrow’s
 election victory, to mark the end of Jammeh’s
  brutal rule, there was a sense of unity across the nation.
 Yet, it was only several months ago, that the country was in
 a period of mourning, after the killing of Ebrima Solo
 Sendeng, whose tragic death dampened our collective
 consciousness and hearts and
  in fact, served as “the Gambia’s moral conscience”.
 Because of his courageous act and moral convictions, Solo
 Sendeng, who was willing to risk his own life for what he
 believed in, became the nation’s symbol for justice and
 change and inspired Gambians at
  home, and abroad, to help bring down the repressive regime
 of Jammeh. May his soul rest in peace!

 The coalition’s
 victory at the polls will, by no means, immediately end the
 divisions, wounds, and the bitterness that defined
  Jammeh’s 22-year-old misrule. Equally speaking, the pain,
 trauma, fear and rancor between Gambians will not disappear
 altogether, unless and until the Gambia was ready to set up
 a truth commission or truth and reconciliation commission.
 Post-Jammeh Gambia
  remains a fractured society and therefore, learning from
 South Africa’s reconciliation process in particular, could
 be vital to avoiding witch-hunting, vindictiveness and
 vengeance. For the first time in its history, the Gambia, in
 my view, is going to need
  a post-election reconciliation strategy to deal with the
 wounds and divisions in the country opened by Jammeh’s
 reign.

 For example, we
 need to know what has happened to Daba Marenah? All the
 locations of the mass graves in the country needs
  to be disclosed, in order to exhume these graves and take
 out the bones (or remains) of the deceased, so as to give
 them proper burial or funeral. Can Gambia rebuild itself
 after Jammeh and people move on? Well, unless and until
 there is both ownership (repentance)
  and forgiveness, the divisions and wounds opened up by the
 Jammeh era will never be fully healed. Reconciliation will
 only occur if the offenders (Jammeh and his ilk) accept full
 responsibilities for their actions and we (the victims)
 forgive them.

 Revenge and
 retributive justice would be too enticing, but
 reconciliation and healing, in my view, would be the way
 forward.
  Those who suffered under Jammeh would now be ready and
 prepared to wreak vengeance on the Jammeh loyalists and team
 of enablers, now that the tables are turned, but a tooth for
 a tooth (or tit for tat) should be totally avoided. The aim,
 as it were, would
  be to overcome the barriers that separate our people along
 ethnic and political lines, in order to effectively heal the
 country’s wounds and divisions. Rebuilding and forging
 authentic, long-term relationships, after 22 years of
 Jammeh’s misrule, are crucial.
  The Gambia’s new political dispensation, post Jammeh,
 must put rule of law and democracy at centre
 stage.

 The three-year
 transition period will have to be navigated very carefully,
 and Gambians at home and in the diaspora, have
  to play a very vital role during this critical period.
  President-elect Adama Barrow and team require our prayers,
 and they must be given the necessary support and space to
 find a navigable path toward consolidating and sustaining
 this new and very delicate
  democratic transition, because at this stage, our new
 democracy is a fledging one and could be vulnerable without
 our collective support and encouragement. The incoming
 government of President-elect Adama Barrow will be
 confronted with a number of fundamental
  political, economic, and social challenges. Yet, these
 hurdles can also be turned into opportunities. Gambians and
 the international community have already started showing a
 good deal of goodwill towards the incoming
 government.