GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amadu Kabir Njie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 May 2006 08:12:25 +0200
*Foroyaa Newspaper Burning Issue*

*Issue No. 34/2006, 4-7 May, 200**6*
*Editorial* **  YANKUBA AND THE GROUNDNUT TRADE

A Radio Gambia Programme, Weekend News update, conducted by Malick Jones, at
which the Secretary of State for Agriculture, Mr. Yankuba Touray, was a
guest, gave rise to a controversy, which deserves comment. Reacting to a
proposal that Government should be engaged in the purchase of the groundnuts
so that Farmers will be paid for their nuts on time and proper arrangements
made for the timely evacuation of nuts.

In response SOS Touray noted that this arrangement is welcome but it cannot
be implemented because the Government does not have the means. He pointed
out that the purchasing of groundnuts involves a lot and requires a lot of
investment, possibly from D300 million to D600 million. For this reason the
Government should only act as facilitators and allow the private sector to
do it. SOS Touray has forgotten or does not know that Social Security had
spent D45 million in purchasing Ocean Bay Hotel and more than D300 million
in refurnishing it.  He has ignored the fact that Government had facilitate
a loan for Premier Agro to purchase nuts which they did not pay fully after
the end of the trade season. Furthermore, during last year's trade season
the Government arranged for Social Security to serve as a guarantor for a
loan of D120 million dalasis to GAMCO. Up till recently this loan had not
yet been fully repaid. Still further this year the Government facilitated
the provision of credit facilities for The Gambia Groundnut Cooperation
amounting to D35 million for the purchase of Groundnuts. In short, the State
cannot purchase nuts and the private sector is yet to come up with adequate
finance to purchase the groundnuts. This is why, in spite of renewed
promises year after year, credit buying always prevails in the groundnut
trade. As it stands, many farmers are yet to be paid for groundnuts, which
they supplied in some cases since December 2005. The SOS, according to
reports by a local newspaper, had made a firm promise that by the end of
April 2006 all farmers would have been paid. Today is the 4 th May 2006 and
a good proportion of farmers are yet to be paid. They continue to languish
in poverty, misery and degradation as the Executive continue to mismanage
the economy.

SOS Touray's statement is a clear testimony that the regime is not in a
position to solve the problems of the masses.

DENTON DENIED ACCESS TO COUNSELS

Lawyer Ousainou Darboe has informed this paper that they are yet to have
access to their client, Mariam Denton, who is currently incarcerated at the
Mile Two Central Prison.

Mr. Darboe said Neneh Cham Chongan went to Mile Two Prison on Tuesday to see
Mariam Denton, but the Prison wardens had told her that they have not been
given the green light to allow her to meet her client.

"We will see what to do. We will have consultation amongst ourselves,"
Darboe remarked.

A recent court ruling has made it categorically clear that the detainee has
the right to have access to a counsel of their choice.

Denton is the most senior female member of the Bar Association. She has
defended some of those who were found liable by the Paul commission. She was
arrested following the abortive coup, which led to the arrest of prominent
figures. Efforts to reach the Director General of Prison's on phone bore
naught.

* *
SERGEANT MENDY'S FAMILY EXPRESS SHOCK *By Fabakary B. Ceesay*

Sergeant Buba Mendy of The Gambia National Army has gone missing several
weeks ago. His family members expressed surprise that he has not been seen
for a long time. They said Mendy has not been working before the 21st of
March 2006. A family source said Buba's absence from work was due to an
accident he had with a motorbike. He resumed work two weeks after the foiled
coup and continued working up to Friday 14th April 2006 when his family last
saw him. According to a source, the Sergeant has never been absent from home
for weeks, but his long absence this time, is worrying. The family source
added that a family member went to the Tourism Development Area military
post to ask the soldiers about his where about. The source noted that upon
arrival at the post, their family member asked a female soldier about
Mendy's where about, but the female soldier told her that Mendy was out,
noting the soldier was quick to tell the family member not to bother to wait
for him. The source noted that a senior army officer asked the family member
whether they heard anything concerning Mendy, and when the family member
replied in the negative, the officer then advised their family member to go
home and relax. The source indicated that their family member tried several
phone calls to talk to Mendy, but to no avail. The source expressed dismay
over the failure of Mendy's soldier friends for not visiting the family
since Mendy went missing. "They had always visited us; some times with Mendy
himself," the source said. Sergeant Buba Mendy was said to have been
enlisted in the Army in 1990. When this reporter went to the TDA Army Post
to enquire about Sergeant Mendy from his colleagues, he was told that
Sergeant Mendy was with them there but they cannot tell what actually
happened to him and they don't know why he is absent from work all this
time: Foroyaa contacted the Army Public Relation Officer (PRO), Lt Lamin
Gano, who said that he did not know anything concerning Sergeant Mendy and
that he did not know him personally.

* *
PRESS FREEDOM DAY

*By Sarjo Camara Singhateh *

Below is a press release from the Gambia Press Union: May 3rd each year is a
day celebrated internationally to take stock and promote freedom of
expression.

Freedom of expression is not only enshrined in our constitution, it is
contained in international instruments such as the Universal Declaration of
Human Rights and the African Charter on Human and People's Rights.

Section 25(1) (a) of our constitution shall have the right to freedom of
speech and expression, which shall include freedom of the press and other
media."

We can express ourselves in various ways - such as speech. writing, art,
gesticulation, mannerism or any other form of communication. The media
(either print or electronic) is a means of mass communication through which
any person or group of persons can communicate with the public in general.
The media therefore is fundamental to any civilized society. It is not
surprising that the constitution stipulates, "the freedom and independence
of the press and other information media are hereby guaranteed."

On this occasion The Gambia Press Union (GPU) regrets to state that the
press in the Gambia has faced and continuous to face lot of problems, namely

(a) Repeated arrests and detention of journalists from the print media

(b) Sealing of media houses by the state security services without court
order e.g.

Citizen FM, Sud FM and Independent newspaper.

(c) Several assaults on journalists, which led to the untimely death of
Deyda Hydara e.g.

the Independent press offices radio one FM. Embrima Sillah and Alieu bah's
houses,

(d) Arson attacks on media houses and the premises of journalists

(e) A hostile altitude by the executive towards the independent press.

We therefore take this occasion to call on the government

(1) Engage in dialogue with the media.

(2) Stop the unwarranted arrest and detention of journalists and the sealing
of media houses. In particular they should release Lamin Fatty of the
Independent newspaper who is still detained or take him to court. .

(3) They should unseal all media houses and allow them operate.

(4) To step up their efforts on investigations into all pending cases
relating to the assaults on journalists,

* *
WORKERS CLAMOUR FOR N/A SEAT *By Annia Gaye*

The Gambia Workers Union has urged the government to nominate workers'
representatives to the country's National Assembly and municipal councils.
In their view, such a move will strengthen the social dialogue and
participation of workers in national policymaking; they said this will
enhance the protection and promotion of the dignity of workers.

Speaking during the Workers' Day celebration at the Independence Stadium in
Bakau, Ebrima Garba Cham remarked that the prices of basic commodities have
increased greatly while salaries have not increased by the same amount or
percentage.

He said the Workers' Union has recommended to the Secretary of State for the
Department of State for Trade, Industry and Employment a general salary
increase of 200 % across the board to all categories of workers excluding
Secretaries of State. He said this will contribute remarkably in alleviating
poverty and will also help the poor pensioners. The Workers' Union also
urged the trade secretary to establish a taskforce to address the situation.

At The National Assembly

*Halifa Sallah*

*On Education*

Hon. Speaker, we also presume that affordability has been addressed, but the
reality is that the number of pupils who are going into the private schools
because of the lack of space in the public schools is increasing.  Hon.
Speaker, you would found these private schools charging D4, 000, D5, 000 or
D6000 per annum, to be paid as fees.**

How many of these poor parents can afford to pay these colossal sums of
money? I'm sure, many of the National Assembly Members here are constantly
receiving young people asking for sponsor or scholarship in order to
continue their studies.    Hon. Speaker, the issue of drop outs has not been
addressed.  We should not continue to speculate that the problem is only the
issue of quality and relevance.  The issue of accessibility and
affordability is still fundamental in our educational system.

Hon. Speaker, for girls' education in Banjul and Kanifing Municipal Council
area, it is said that there is free education for girls in urban areas of
this country in terms of fees, but the rest would be shouldered by parents.
The reality is that, most parents are beginning to see that there is no free
education for girls and that they as parents are shouldering greater and
greater responsibility to educate their daughters.   So it is important to
look at this issue critically, and from my own perspective, education is a
system, and in that system, the structure needs to be provided, the learning
materials needs to be provided and the teachers are to be provided.  The
absence of learning materials poses greater danger to our educational
system.  And yet we have people with knowledge in the service and some
retired.  There was a book production unit.  All we needed was a system of
weighing what the curriculum is, identify people even on competitive basis
who would want to provide the materials and engage them to provide the
materials for our school system.  Then Hon. Speaker, we would put an
intellectual cadre in the country who would be able to address all sectors
of our educational system and therefore we would take charge of our destiny
by producing the learning materials needed in our schools.  And unless we do
that Hon. Speaker, the issue of quality and relevance would not be
addressed.

Hon. Speaker, if you go to the University and see the textbooks, Hon.
Speaker the importation of these books is actually increasing the cost of
education and is undermining the development of education.

*On PMO*

Hon. Speaker, the Personal Management Office used to be the spot of first
call for people who graduated from high schools and junior secondary
schools.  They would go and write applications to see whether there is a
place for employment.  But today, if you go into our school system and ask
the vast majority of the students the question: - if you finish and obtain
your certificates, what would you do next? They would not be able to tell
you.   All these young people are looking for relatives and friends who can
help them to be able to get a job.

There is no system in place! Essentially, the personal management office
should be the spot of first call so that those who graduate would go and
make an application, then we should be able to evaluate the potential of all
those people who applied and see the places that are available. They can
also be able to trace the employment level in the country.

They would be able to tell those who are employed and those not employed.  This
will also help in the type of training that would be necessary.  But that is
not the function that the PMO is serving and I want to emphasize very
empathetically that the role of the PMO should charge to open up to people
who are coming out of our school system so that they will be able to go and
register. We can then see ultimately what to do with those with potential
and what to do with the statistics in terms of planning.

*On Agriculture***

Hon. Speaker, if we go straight to agriculture at page 13, the president
said that out of the total estimates production of groundnuts this year, the
commercial crop is estimated to be 30, 000 metric tons. In seasonal paper
No.1 of 2005 at page 4, the president indicated that in consonance with the
recommendations of the study, the Gambia Agricultural Marketing Company
(GAMCO) was established and as at 24 th February 2005, this company has
disbursed D250 million as crop finance to the cooperative societies and
marketing agents. In this connection so far, about 32, 000 metric tons of
groundnuts have been purchased. Hon. Speaker, we are been told that GDP has
increased because of the increases in groundnut production and here, we are
told that we bought more groundnuts last year than what is available this
year. That is really a concern! How can there be an increase in GDP because
of the increase in groundnut production if we could purchase 30, 000 tons
this year while last year we purchase 32, 000 tons? Hon. Speaker, it is
important for us to see that there is statistical *jiggery* and we need to
become critical of the figures we receive in this National Assembly. Hon.
Speaker, we are told tat GAMCO has all the capacity to purchase the
groundnuts of the farmers, but here we are told by the president that
"*overall,
more than 10, 000 metric tons representing 33 percent of groundnuts have
already been purchased by GAMCO and GGC. Arrangements for the complete
financing of the remaining tonnage are far advanced and it is expected that
by the end of the trade season all the nuts will be purchased."* So it means
that they do not have capacity to purchase the groundnuts of the farmers.
This is what we have been told! What is also very evident Hon. Speaker is
that we have been told in this National Assembly that GAMCO has to get loan
from Guarantee Trust Bank to the tune of D120 million, guaranteed by the
Social Security and Housing Finance Corporation (SSHFC) and that public
corporations have invested in GAMCO as shares amounting to D57 million. That
was last year! So how can this company at this very stage, this year, lack
the capacity to purchase the groundnuts of the farmers? What happened last
year with the profits gained? Where is the money that was meant for crop
financing? But Hon. Speaker we are still being told that funds for crop
financing is being sought, to help these companies to purchase the
groundnuts of the farmers. I think we need to look into this very
critically. We expect companies to really carry on what is expected of them.
Hon. Speaker, we have seen the stage of the economy. We have been told that
because of proper macro-economic management we are envisaging more grants
and more benefits from the Millennium Challenge Account (MCA). But Hon.
Speaker, we have been told clearly by the Secretary of State for Finance and
Economic Affairs in his budget speech that we have not managed well. At page
10, paragraph 52 of the budget speech, the Secretary of State indicated that
" *the end of 2005 marks the completion of the Gambia's first Poverty
Reduction Strategy Paper (PRSP), implementation cycle of 3 years. The
implementation process has been hindered by a number of setbacks that has
made the overall PRSP process less successful. The most serious setback was
the suspension of the PRGF program by the IMF in 2003 and because of the
program suspension; the Gambia could not reach HIPC completion point as
planned in June 2003, as reaching completion point is conditional on
satisfactory implementation of a PRGF. The second setback which was a direct
result of the PRGF suspension was that US$115 million funds pledged by
donors during the 2002 Geneva Round Table Conference on the Gambia was not
disbursed.*" The Secretary of State is emphasizing here and we must bear
that in mind that implementation of PRSP programmes was undertaken with a
lower than anticipated budgetary resources envelop. Consequently, less than
40 percent of the PRSP programme has been implemented. So we must bear in
mind Hon. Speaker that we must engage in proper financial management. To
improve agriculture Hon. Speaker, it is mentioned that NARI is doing well.
But Hon. Speaker, if you look at the estimates, and you look at the
allocation to NARI, especially on the area of field study, you would
discover that the allocation on field study has been reduced from D100, 000
(one hundred thousand dalasis) to D60, 000 (sixty thousand dalasis). So how
can anybody say that there is commitment to the development of agriculture!
The same D12, 500, 000.00 (twelve million five thousand dalasis) that was
allocated to NARI in 2005, is the same this year. So where is the commitment
to improve agriculture?

*WORKS ON SERREKUNDA – MANDINA -BA ROAD WILL BE FINISH SOON*

* Nathalie Guerra*

Most roads in The Gambia are in poor condition.  Many roads projects are
going on, but the constructors are facing a lot of difficulties.

At the north bank the road from Barra to Kerewan is finished.  The
construction of the road from Kerewan to Farafenni (59 km) started in may
2005 and if everything goes like planned Mr. Lamin Sanneh, the Permanent
Secretary of the Department of State for Works and Construction, hopes it
will be finished in June of this year.  The financing of the roads happened
through funds received from the I.D.B. (Islamic Development Bank) and the
Gambian government.  Present plans include a trunk road from Farafenni to
Lamin Koto over a distance of 104 km.  This project started three years ago
but is delayed because the contractors faced problems with finding the right
materials.  The road should be finished around July 2006.  The Arabic Bank
for Economic Development in Africa, Kuwait, OPEC and the Gambian government
are the donors.  Studies, financed by Kuwait, are going on to define the
road project to connect Georgetown with the Eastern part of the country. As
soon as enough donors are found, the contractors will start to build this
road.  Mr Sanneh hopes this will be by the end of August of this year.

The situation of the roads of the South Bank is worse.  At the moment, two
projects are going on: the construction of the road from Serrekunda to
Mandina Ba and the construction of the road from Mandina Ba to Soma.   The
latest started three months ago and Mr Sanneh says it will take
approximately three years to be finished.  The contractor for this road
project is M.A Kharafi.  The construction of the road from Serrekunda to
Mandina Ba started 6 years ago, and is not completed yet.  The road covers a
distance of 28 km.  The contractor is C.S.E. (Compagnie de Sahel
d´Entreprise).  The donors are the I.D.B., OPEC and the Gambia
government.  According
to Mr. Sanneh it took so long because the scoop of the works increased as
they faced organisation problems with the contractor.  The construction of a
road in a crowded urban area brings a lot of practical problems.  The first
consultant, UNITEC, is replaced by STUDI international.  Mr. Sanneh things
the road will be finished in June of this year.  At the moment, works are
progressing well.  They are working on the sidewalks; the pavement of the
roads, the street- and traffic light's and within two weeks the asphalt
works can start.

Mr Karamo Jaiteh, the Acting Deputy Director of the Department of State for
Works and Construction, confirms they faced many problems concerning the
construction of the road from Serrekunda to Mandina Ba.  Studies for this
road started in 1994 and in 2000 construction works took place.  The main
problem was the funding of the project.    To solve the funding problem,
more donors had to be searched.  It took one year to write and send letters
to institutions that might become donors.  During this time, the
construction of the road stopped and the prices rose.  They started with a
budget of 92 million dalasi, but in the meantime, a budget of 160 million
dalasis is needed to complete the works.   The first consultant UNITEC would
not proceed because the budget became too high, and another consultant had
to be found.  The project was split into two phases: the consultant UNITEC
completed phase 1.  Phase 2 was under consultancy of STUDI International.  The
donors of this project are the I.D.B., OPEC and the Gambia government.  Other
problems they had to deal with are the organisation problems with C.S.E.  Also
most construction materials are imported from neighbouring countries and
often problems with the ferry occurred to get the materials on time.  Mr.
Karamo stresses the fact that all services like old water pipes; cables for
electricity and telephone had to be taken out and removed to replace them by
new ones.  But at the moment, he is positive about the evolution of the
works: "the production is going faster and the organisation of works has
become better.  Once we finished the road in the crowded urban area, the
works will speed up.  I think at least within two months the construction of
the road will be finished."

 *OPERATION CLEAN THE NATION AND ENVIRONMENTAL POLLUTION*

The monthly Operation Cleans the Nation, initiated and implemented by the
Head of State in an effort to clean our Environment, is also said to be
characterised by another Environmental pollution. The pollution of the
Greater Banjul Area, after the Saturday Operation Clean the Nation, has
compelled so many residents to speak to Foroyaa in an effort to express
their concern, regarding the Nature of Pollution that they normally
experienced after the exercise. According to one Bintu Kujabi, a resident of
Talinding Sicap, who lives close to a mechanic garage, every time there is
Operation Clean the Nation, the people at the garage take advantage of it to
burn their old tyres pretending that they are also cleaning their
Environment.   She remarked that the burning of their tyres results to the
emission of tick black smoke which she said, could lead to heart and chronic
chest infections that could be very detrimental to human health.  Another
woman, a resident of Ebo Town, also complained about the smoke that is they
are exposed to after the Saturday Operation Clean the Nation exercise in the
following words: "Though our environ is seen to be cleared, the smoke that
is emitted is killing us. I think something needs to be done to address this
situation; otherwise our health will be at risk. However, in my view,
Enronmental Management does mean merely sweeping and burning rubbish.

The people must be educated first to know that they are responsible for the
improvement of the degrading Environment and therefore they need to
cooperate fully in order to sustainably manage the Environment. For
instance, before we think of managing our waste, we have to put the issue of
waste creation in to consideration. That means the people need to be
sensitised regarding their attitude towards the creation of waste. The
Government and organisations also dealing with the management of the
Environment should also make sure that all unsustainable patterns of
production be totally rejected through an Environment Impact Assassinate,
EIA." It could be recalled that some years ago waste management was much
less of a problem; food and goods were wrapped in natural materials – banana
and other leaves and occasionally newspapers. Clay pots were also used
instead of bottles. These materials would quickly decay and be absorbed into
the soil. But today much of what is available to us comes wrapped in
plastic, in tin cans or plastic bottles. These materials are strong, light
and cheap to manufacture but they can take a longtime to break down.
Therefore, the attitudinal change towards the creation of waste through
sensitisation is the most important issue that the people need to focus on
rather than cleaning our environment just to realise another environmental
pollution.

*SOS BALA GAYE CLARIFIES*

*Abdoulie G Dibba*

SOS Bala Gaye has indicated that the external Auditors of the Central Bank,
Deloitte and Touche. Gambia Ltd, have completed the audit of the financial
statements of the Central Bank of The Gambia for the years ending
31stDecember 2003 and 2004.

SOS Gaye made this statement when the minority leader Halifa Sallah asked
him to throw light on the results of external auditing of the Central Bank
and to further clarify whether the Bank's authorities are aware of their
obligation to submit annual reports of activities and reports to the
National Assembly.

He went further to indicate that the results of the Auditors expressed
qualified opinions on both audits. He said Auditors usually qualify their
opinions if either of the following situations exists and the Auditor
concludes that the effect of the matter is material: There is limitation on
the scope of the Audit; there is a disagreement with management relating to
accounting policies; adequacy of disclosures. SOS Gaye said that "Deloitte
and Touche. Gambia Ltd's" qualified opinion on the basis of a limitation was
not material and pervasive as to require a disclaimer of opinion or an
adverse opinion. SOS Bala Gaye pointed out that the Central Bank of The
Gambia is well aware of its obligation to submit annual report of its
Activities and Business to the National Assembly under section 162 (10)   of
the constitution. It is in that spirit he said, that the bank has attached
copies of the annual reports for 1999 and 2000. He said the annual reports
for the subsequent years shall be submitted to the National Assembly in due
course.

* *

*FOROYAA PANORAMA ***

*WITH THE GERMAN AMBASSADOR DORETTA LOSCHELDER*

In this edition of Panorama, our columnist interviewed the ambassador to the
Republic of Senegal, The Gambia, Guinea Bissau and Cape Verde. She did throw
light on her career as a diplomat.

Foroyaa: Could you give a brief history of your education background?

Interviewee: After my high school education in Bonn (Germany), I started law
in Bonn in a University in Southern Germany. I got a scholarship from the
German Government to go the Ecole National del' administration in Paris. It
is an administrative school in France. At that time, there was an agreement
between Germany and France for The German Government to send young people in
ENA for training. ENA is an elite school for administrators. Most of the
people in the French Government passed through this school. Chirae and
Doming Devil pein passed through this school. I joined the Foreign Service
after my training.

Foroyaa: How and when did you join the diplomatic circle?

Interviewee: I joined in 1974. That was move than thirty years ago. After
studying law, I worked briefly with a solicitor in London and I got a lot of
Interest in international Law. I was considering whether to be a lawyer or
to go to the judiciary. But finally I though it was best to travel because
what I was interested was the Foreign Service where you have broad spectrum
of international relations.

Foroyaa: How is it like shifting from the legal profession to the diplomatic
arena?

Interviewee: It helps a lot. I was first posted in Japan. There were lots of
legal matters concerning ships that I had to handle. When I was posted to
Tel Aviv, I was head of the visa and consular section, which was the biggest
section of the embassy. Without being a lawyer, it would have been difficult
for me to work there.

Foroyaa: In which countries did you work as a diplomat?

Interviewee; The first country was Japan. I went to Israel, then I was
posted to peking (China), in between I went to Germany to serve in the
foreign Ministry. I started my African career ten years ago. In Africa, I
was first posted to Burkina Fasso, then I was later posted to Germany to
become Chief of Division for Southern Africa. Them I was posted to Kinshasa
as ambassador for 4 years. From there, I was ported to Dakar.

Foroyaa: What was your experience in Burkina Fasso like?

Interviewee: Well it was something new for me. It was the first time I had
to professionally deal with economic corporation, which before was not the
subject I dealt with. One of the things I like most in Burkina Fasso is the
hospitality of the people. I still have contacts and friends in Burkina
Fassa.

Foroyaa; what does your work entail?

Interviewee: The main focus is the bilateral relations between Germany and
the countries I deal with. That is to say the political dialogue between
Germany and those countries. For instance, last week we organised a football
match between a group of Senegalese who had scholarships in Germany and
members of the embassy. This is also part of the bilateral relation. What is
attractive in this profession is that you deal with a variety of issues. You
deal with issues that are difficult and unpleasant, but you also deal with
pleasant issues.

Foroyaa: What is the most interesting thing about your job?

Interviewee: The big variety of subjects. It entails a lot of diplomatic
work, but you make interesting contacts during your career. You have the
opportunity to meet a lot of people, know a country and the culture of its
people more than if you go to a country as a tourist.

Foroyaa: What are your challenges?

Interviewee: In this region, the focus is on economic corporation in a
broader sense. This is a challenge because we have to work to make sure that
our work is as successful as possible. Also not only in the interest of the
countries directly concerned but also in our own interest. Lets take example
of Congo for instance. The whole international community (Germany as part of
the community) has interest in the Congo, which has the biggest forest in
the world. It is of great importance for the climatic changes that the
forest there is preserved. That war and illegal destruction of the forest
will harm the environment and affect the whole world. Germany is very much
dependent on exports. We have interest to have partners in Africa and the
whole world that we could have normal economic relations with. The big
challenge is the question of human rights, which is universal and
indivisible.

Foroyaa: What problems do you often have from visa applicants?

Interviewee: People sometimes for tourist visa to go and have a short stay
and come back. But they go and they don't come back; they try to stay there
illegally or they go to other schengen countries. This poses a serious
problem.

Foroyaa: What are the consequencies of staying illegally?

Interviewee: They would be expelled back to the country they come from. They
will not also be in a position to work on the basis that they are staying
illegally. This might be dangerous, because they would try to find a job,
but the job will not be protected. People with suspicious background will
give them work and exploit them they would not also have access to medical
care.