GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2007 22:34:07 EST
Issue No. 137/2007, 21 - 22 November 2007
Editorial
ANOTHER BUDGET  SESSION IN THE MAKING
We have almost come to the end of another financial  year. The executive is
required by the Constitution to direct the Secretary of  State for Finance and
Economic Affairs to prepare and lay before the National  Assembly at least 30
days before the end of the financial year, estimates of the  revenue and
expenditure of the Gambia for the following financial year. The  financial year
ends on the 31st December. Hence in about a week the Secretary of  State is duty
bound to present the estimates of the executives on the sum  required to run
the public service in 2008, the 14th year of President Jammeh’s  rule. In
addition to the estimates, the SoS for Finance is expected to present  the fiscal
and monetary plans and programmes of the government for economic and  social
development for periods not exceeding a year and the estimates of  expenditure
required to implement such plans and programmes.
In the last  budget speech, the SoS indicated that the real gross domestic
product of the  country grew by 7.7%. Agriculture is said to have contributed
29.8% of the value  added, industry 10.9% and service sectors 56%.
These three basic branches  constitute the macro economic base of the
country.
Agriculture covered crop  production, livestock, forestry and fishing.
Industry covered mining and  quarrying, manufacturing, provision of water and
electricity and construction in  the public and private domain.
The service sectors covered the distributive  trade, hotels and restaurants,
transport, communication, real estate and  business services.
Foroyaa has been following the development of such  sectors.
Unlike, 2006 when the state engaged in many works connected to the  African
Union Summit 2007 witnessed many economic blood shocks, which undermined  many
sectors in the economy. Foroyaa will monitor the picture the executive will
draw and then give a comprehensive analysis.
It is important to point out  that despite the claim of a growth of 7.7%
salaries did not increase to meet  inflation trends and income of the population
depreciated in the face of rising  inflation. Poverty also remained the major
cause of misery and wretchedness. A  way forward is necessary and urgent if we
sincerely feel the suffering of the  people.

ECOWAS COURT ADJOURNS
Demands for Evidence
The judgment of the  Community Court of Justice of the Economic Community of
West Africa on the suit  filed against the Gambia Government for the release
of Chief Ebrima Manneh was  not delivered yesterday as anticipated.
The court has demanded for evidence  of the arrest of Chief Ebrima Manneh.
The court has adjourned till Monday to  receive evidence of the arrest of
Chief Manneh and related matters. The Media  Foundation of West Africa (MFWA)
based in Accra, Ghana has filed a suit at the  Community Court demanding the
immediate release of Chief Manneh who has been  missing since 7 July 2006. Mr.
Femi Falana, a Nigerian lawyer, who is a member  of MFWA Network of Lawyers for
the Defence of Journalists and the President of  the West Africa Bar
Association, is holding brief for the MFWA.
The Gambia  government has not been appearing before the court to defend its
case.
According to a protocol to the treaty establishing the community court, the
court has jurisdiction to hear and determine cases of human rights violations.
 Its decisions are immediately enforceable. The Media Foundation for West
Africa  (MFWA) is a regional, independent, non-profit, non-governmental
organisation  based in Accra, Ghana. It was established in 1997 to promote and defend
the  rights and freedom of the media and all forms of expressions.

Where Are  Jasaja Kujabie and Others?
Family sources of three residents of Foni Kansala  District have reliably
informed Foroyaa that the whereabouts of Haruna Jammeh of  Kanilai, Jasaja
Kujabie of Dobong and Macie Jammeh of Kanilai  is still  unknown to them.
They informed this reporter that the detainees were arrested  during the
rainy season in 2005.
State security agents arrested Mr. Jasaja  Kujabi, a stalwart of the APRC in
the Foni’s and a resident of Dobong together  with Mr. Haruna Jammeh and Mrs.
Macie Jammeh in 2005, family sources noted.
According to sources, they were taken to Kanilai purportedly for
questioning, but they never returned home. Family sources indicated that they  have made
frantic efforts to locate their whereabouts, but their efforts are yet  to
bear fruits. According to them, the disappearance of their loved ones is
impacting negatively on them. They said they are not aware of any court  proceeding
against the missing trio. They further indicated that no reason(s)  has/have
been advanced for their arrest by the authorities. They said when they  enquired
about the reason for their arrest; the arresting officers only told  them
that they are wanted for questioning.
Family sources urged the concerned  and relevant authorities to release their
loved ones as their continuous  detention has had a serious economic and
psychological impact on the livelihood  of their families.

Fatou Jaw Manneh’s Sedition Case At The High  Court
By Bubacarr K. Sowe
The protracted sedition case of Fatou Jaw  Manneh, a United States based
Gambian journalist would be mentioned at the High  Court in Banjul before Justice
M.M Yamoa. The journalist’s case has been a legal  quagmire following the
withdrawal of two magistrates from the trial.
In early  July, the trial Magistrate, Buba Jawo ruled that he does not have
jurisdiction  to hear the case. Magistrate Jawo said in his ruling that the act
was done in  the United States while the investigation and browsing of the
article on  Internet was conducted in Banjul. He therefore transferred the
matter to the  Banjul Magistrates Court.
At the commencement of the trial, Magistrate Jawo  had over-ruled the defense’
s submission that the court lacks jurisdiction to try  the journalist. On
August 6, Magistrate Imelda Mboto who was assigned to hear  the case at the
Banjul Magistrate’s Court also withdrew from the case.  Magistrate Mboto also ruled
that she has no jurisdiction over the case since it  was posted in the
Internet and the accused person was arrested at the Airport  which is under the
jurisdiction of Brikama.
Jaw Manneh was arrested on  arrival from the United States on March 28 and
detained for five  days.

Interview With Halifa Sallah
Part 12
One of my  memorable encounters is the barefooted farmer whom we met at the
outskirts of  Foday Kunda. He callous hands, torn clothes, chapped feet and
disappearing teeth  placed us face to face with the dehumanizing nature of
poverty. It was very  clear to us that no human being with clear perceptions of the
feasibility of a  better life would resign to such a despicable state of
existence of having no  present and no future. The farmer who knew Sidia from
childhood received us with  a grin on his face as if we were very strange fellows.
We shook hands and  explained our mission. He asked Sidia whether we were
going to bring what he  called “Jawara mano” (Food aid from the President). Sidia
told him that food aid  was not the solution; that our objective was to bring
about self-reliance in  agricultural production and food self-sufficiency so
that we will not receive  expired food as food aid. He said that politicians
who did not come with “Jawara  Mano” are not likely to get votes. I looked at
the man from head to toe and  wondered what benefit he derived from “Jawara
Mano”. He caught me looking at his  cracked heels and asked me in jovial manner
why I was looking at him with such  penetrating glance.
We did receive our first lesson on the challenges of the  politics of
patronage. The farmers did not know what the role of a state was.  They had no idea
why they were electing a president, members of parliament or  councillors. They
had no notion of a constitution or the rights guaranteed for  them. The
president, the ministers, the members of parliament, the commissioners  and the
chiefs were all rulers or kings. Even public servants were mystified.  Dispensers
were even referred to as Doctors. They did not know where the revenue  of the
country was derived from and the entitlements they had as taxpayers. The
Gambia was literally a sovereign republic without a sovereign people. We drew
the conclusion that independence was meaningless unless it gives rise to a
sovereign people who are in charge of their destiny. The primary mission of  PDOIS
therefore became evident we could not make progress unless we motivated
people to liberate their minds so they could decide who could best serve their
interest. Our primary enemy was the ignorance of the people and civic education
became our primary weapon. We got a very powerful public address system to
start  the battle of a lifetime.
Some claim that your messages were above the  people. Others argued that you
are advocating for a system which had failed  elsewhere. Can you explain the
meaning of PDOIS and the type of messages you  transmitted to the people
regarding PDOIS’s policies and programmes?
PD in  the acronym PDOIS represents people’s or participatory Democracy.
This was  designed to differentiate what we advocated for from the type of
democracy where  people voted for elites on the basis of inducement or intimidation
who put  personal interest before national interest and use their term of
office to  misrepresent the people and enrich themselves at their expense. It was
clear to  us that if a group of youths in Foday Kunda who had never gone to
school could  organise themselves into a quasi village government which
collected revenue,  prepared projects, allocated responsibilities and issue penalties
for failure in  the performance of duty then each village in the country could
elect its own  committee which would be responsible for the collection of
revenue and the  convening of village meetings to assess needs and formulate
development  priorities and projects. In the same vein, all projects initiated by
central  government and NGOs could have such committees as their focal points
and  partners so that they would inform the villagers of all developments,
participate in the awarding of contracts. The supervision of the storage of
materials and the monitoring of the implementation of projects to prevent any
diversion of resources. We started by asking farmers whether they were paying
taxes for their huts, cattle and carts and they would respond in the positive.
When asked whether they were informed of how much was collected and what was
done with it they would respond in the negative. We therefore told them that
there should be no village taxation without village representation and that
there should be no village planning and implementation of projects without
village participation. We indicated that people’s or participatory democracy
entails representation of and participation by the sovereign people at the
village, district, divisional and national level. We informed them of PDOIS’s
intention to establish such a system of democracy.
We spent some time  explaining the word market price for groundnuts in
contrast to the local price  and indicated how we intend to decentralize the
decision making process by  empowering the chairpersons of cooperative societies to
meet with the  secretariat of the cooperative union and representatives of
marketing boards to  discuss and determine the local price of groundnuts after the
world market price  is known. We informed them that such representation by
unions civic,  organisations and organised groups to protect rights and group
interests are all  part of people’s or participatory democracy which PDOIS will
nurture through  civic education by the national media and consolidate through
popular  participation and legislation.
Can you explain the meaning of the I in the  acronym PDOIS and how you
transmit it to the average Gambian?
To be  continued

Western Region Disaster Committee Donates To  Disaster Victims
By Modou Jonga
The Western Region Disaster Committee on  Wednesday 14 November, 2007 donated
bags of rice, sugar, plastic buckets, pans  and clothing to fifteen disaster
victims in the Western Region.
Speaking at  the presentation ceremony, MR. Seringe Modou Joof who deputized
for the governor  of Western Region and Secretary to the Regional Disaster
Committee noted his  committee was given forty five thousand Dalasis by the
office of the National  Disaster Committee headed by the Vice President of the
Republic to assist  disaster victims within the said region. He expressed grief on
the numerous  disasters that beset the Western Region l, Mr. Joof commended
the Guaranty Trust  Bank and The Gambia Red Cross Society for their assistance
and  cooperation.
Joof noted that a National Disaster Policy has been recently  validated and
that a national disaster Secretariat will be set up in future in  order to
ensure a swift response to national disaster incidents in various  districts of
the country. The donated items include forty bags of rice, ten bags  of sugar,
forty plastic pans, buckets and clothing.
In delivering the vote of  thanks, one of the beneficiaries, Foday Badjie of
Sohm village expressed  appreciation to the Western Region Disaster Committee
and urged them to respond  to the needs of other disaster victims who are yet
to be assisted.

U.S.  Embassy Assists Gambia Armed Forces
Bubacarr K. Sowe &  Fabakary B.  Ceesay
The United States Department of Defence HIV/AIDS prevention program  through
the U.S. Embassy in the Gambia on Tuesday, November 20, donated items  worth
35, 000 dollars to the Gambia Armed Forces. (GAF)
According to the GAF  spokeman Lt. Alagie Sanneh the items included
computers, office equipment,  laboratory equipment for HIV testing, T-Shirts amongst
others.
The items were  handed over by the U.S.Embassy’s charged de’ Affairs to the
Chief of Defence  Staff (CDS) Brigadier General Lang Tombong Tamba.
According to Lt. Sanneh,  they have a joint two-year program ending at end
2007, but said it could be  renewed for 2008 and 2009.

Ban On Forestry Activities Lifted
By Modou  Jonga
The Department of State for the Environment and National Resources has  in a
press release broadcast over GRTS announced the lifting of the ban on
forestry activities. The ban has been lifted after more than a month of  enforcement.
According to the press release, the ban is immediately lifted, but  with
strict conditions, which should be abided by all those dealing in firewood,
charcoal and timber .The release states that a permit should be obtained from  the
forestry officers at a nearly forestry station.
On Governments preserved  forest parks and community forest parks, the
release states that a license  should be obtained from the respective instituted
forestry committee. On the  cutting of red timber, the press release states that
it should be traded out of  the country and that clearance should be obtained;
that it should be transported  on a specified time frame that is from
8am-6pm. The press release urges the  general public to abide by the new rules.

18-Year-Old Girl Fined  For Causing Actual Bodily Harm
By Saikou Ceesay
Amie Jambang, a resident  of London Corner in the KMC suburb was convicted
for unlawfully assaulting one  Mariama Demba by hitting her with a pressing iron
on her head.
The accused  pleaded guilty to the charge and pleaded for forgiveness.
Delivering her  ruling, Magistrate Wadda Ceesay said the court should not
condone such  a   cruel act, adding that the accused must be punished for her
acts.  Having pleaded guilty before the court, Magistrate Wadda Ceesay fined the
accused the sum of one thousand dalasis (D1000) in default to serve three
months  of imprisonment with hard labour. She further ordered the accused to
compensate  her victim the sum of four thousand dalasis (D4000) or in default to
serve six  months of imprisonment. Both sentences are to run  consecutively.

Beach Boys Accuse Soldiers
GAF Spokesperson  Clarifies
By Fabakary B. Ceesay & Bubacarr K. Sowe
Over a dozen young  Gambians have complained bitterly over what they
described as the humiliation  they experienced in the hands of soldiers who frequently
shave their hair. They  lamented that the soldiers have shaved the “dreadlocks
” of more than 12  Rastafarians since the beginning of the tourists’ season.
According to the  beach boys, whenever soldiers arrest them, they always
subject them (beach boys)  to humiliation by forcing them to do what is referred
to as  “Monkey  dance”. They alleged that the soldiers always shave their hair
when they are in  their custody. They said most of them work at the beach
either as restaurateurs,  barkeepers or juice pressers. They pointed out that
most of them have invested a  lot of money on their hair and that some have not
shaved their hair in the past  years.
“It is very painful to lose your dreadlocks within an hour after  several
years of maintaining it,” they lamented.
The Army spokesperson,  Lieutenant Alagie Sanneh, said his men are not
shaving people’s dreadlocks at  the beach “Even if they were doing it, it could
have been their own initiative  to discourage them from harassing the tourist,”
said Lieutenant  Sanneh.
Lieutenant Sanneh said he knows the type of officers that are  attached to
the tourism area: .He said they will not shave people’s “dreadlocks”  without
any reasons. Lieutenant Sanneh said instead of prosecuting them, they  could
use their own methods to discipline the boys. He said they have not yet
prosecuted any suspect at the beach due to the fact that most of the principal
witnesses are tourists who would leave the country before a case file is  prepared
for the suspect to appear in court. Sanneh said most of the boys are  not
working at the industry, but that they would do every thing possible to get
working cards.
He sand most of them cannot even explain the nature of the  work at the area.
Lieutenant Sanneh said there are many dubious acts going on at  the industry.
He said sex workers, homosexuals and thieves use the tourism  industry to do
their dirty works.

Sub-Regional Training On  Improvement Of Greenhouse Gases Ends
By Amie Sanneh
A Sub-regional  Training workshop on the Improvement of Greenhouse Gas
Inventory Methodologies  ended last week at the Corinthia Atlantic Hotel.
The programme is aimed at  improving the accuracy, transparency and
comparability of national inventories  expected to come out of the region in the future.
Speaking on the occasion, a  representative of UNDP, Almami Camara, said
climate change poses a serious  challenge to development. He said climate change
in Africa, including The  Gambia, is already having profound and irreversible
impacts on the continent’s  economic and social environmental system. He noted
that recurrent in flood,  droughts, erratic rainfalls on the continent are
climate related  disasters.
Mr. Camara also said scientific evidence suggests that  temperatures are
increasing and that rainfall patterns are changing, extreme  weather events are
increasing in incidence and the sea levels are rising.
Mr.  Camara remarked that the time to doubt the real and potential impacts of
climate  change has passed and failure to act now could result to
irreversible changes.  “Therefore, it is high time we mitigated the effects of climate
change through  the implementation of adaptive measures,” he said.
Mr. Camara further went on  to explain that adaptation is about managing
current and future climate changes.  He noted that future climate trends are
likely to be different from those  historically experienced.
He pointed out that most African countries are  increasingly suffering from
the detrimental effects of climate change.
Mr.  Camara said without the active involvement of developing countries in
carbon  mitigation efforts, a sustainable carbon path for the 21st century is
not  achievable.
He however described the poor as the most vulnerable who often  lack the
means to adapt to anticipated impacts of climate change.
“If  developing countries do not enhance the adaptive capacities and
integrate  climate change risks into key development priorities, climate change could
compromise progress towards MDGs, Opening the workshop, the Secretary of
State  for Forestry and the Environment, Momodou Kotu Cham, said The Gambia was
the  first African country to develop case study guidelines. In 1991 when the
first  set of guidelines were developed by the OECD and the IPCC. The case study
he  said was presented at the IPCC session in Geneva in December 1991
together with  the case study from Canada. He added that the efforts of Canada and
The Gambia  led to the Development and Implementation of the four million dollar
UNEP  Greenhouse Gas Inventories Project for few countries in Latin America,
Africa  and Asia which was finalized in 1993.

Gamcel Presents Pilgrimage Package To Winners
By Annie Gaye
The  National GSM operator, Gamcel, on Monday presented its pilgrimage raffle
draw  package to ten winners at a ceremony held at its headquarters in
Kanifing.
Speaking at the presentation ceremony, the Principal Assistant  Secretary at
the Department of State for Communication and Information, Lamin  Camara,
noted that this is the first time in the history of The Gambia  that a large
number of customers have been accorded the special privilege to  fulfill a
religious obligation. He said the hajj is one of the five fundamental  pillars of
Islam that is incumbent on every Muslim to perform at least once in a  lifetime
provided that one could afford it. He further said for the Christians,
especially the Catholic Faith, Rome is a prominent place as it is not only the
official residence of the pope but also houses the most prominent church in the
word. He commended Gamcel for coming up with such a wonderful gesture, which is
a clear manifestation of their ardent desire to thank customers for their
patronage and loyalty to the company. He stated that it is an indication of
their attachment to The Gambian people and their respect for religious  beliefs.
“Religion constitutes a very important aspect of human life as it  provides
man with that spiritual link to his creator and defines his life by  giving
meaning to his very existence.” He said.
He congratulated the winners  for their wonderful raffle draw and wished them
a safe trip to Mecca and  Rome.
Almamy Gassama, Director, Customer Care said this is the second raffle  draw.
He stated that this package is a fully sponsored one, that it includes
pocket money of 1000 dollars, visa and all the ingredients. He further stated  that
they have seven Gambians, one Guinean and one Senegalese. He thanked
customers for compensating Gamcel. Some of the winners expressed their happiness  and
thanked Gamcel for their wonderful gesture.

OPINION
We Are In Another Tourists Season But Are We  Trying To Ensure Responsible
Tourism In The Gambia
The principal gold of the  ministry of tourism is to maximize the economic
and social benefits that are  derived from the totality of the tourism industry,
by the different categories  of Gambian service and skill providers. Its
complementary aim is to foster an  organisational and economic environment in
which foreign investors, managers and  tourists can operate within a conducive
framework of equitable partnership with  their Gambian counterparts with a view
to ensuring that the tourism sector  contributes meaningfully to the
socio-economic development of the  country.
Therefore for the ministry of tourism to fully achieve this goal,
responsible tourism should be their first priority but it is clear that the  ministry
and the GTA is always happy with increasing number of visitors coming  to The
Gambia forgetting that majority of tourists coming to The Gambia are low
spenders. And part of their top agenda items is having all year round tourism,
however I believe the foundation of the above agenda is supposed to be  “
Responsible tourism.”
Meanwhile the meaning of responsible tourism in short  is to link the
industry in all other sectors of life, minimising the negative  impacts and
maximizing the positive impacts and to allow the fulltime  participation of the locals
in the industry.
Therefore Gambia has a long way  to go to attain sustainable tourism
development because the root of sustainable  tourism is responsible tourism.
Moreover to justify why the ministry is yet  to achieve this principal goal
economically, this is related to an increase in  income of the country. Yes, it
is happening but its minimal because the Gambia’s  tourism industry is still
paddled by outbound tour operators in this case, the  industry is suffering
from high level of leakages and in the accommodation  aspect foreigners are now
building compounds thereby renting to tourists during  the season depriving
hotels of guests.
Socially this is mainly linked to  improving the living standard of the local
Gambians. Yes that’s also happening  but the locals are benefiting very
little because even our locally made products  are not made accessible to tourists
with too many restrictions. Examples of such  produce are cashew nuts,
groundnuts etc, and most of the service providers in  the accommodation sector are
wage slaves heavily relying on tips.
Meanwhile,  the majority of The Gambian product and service providers don’t
have at least a  diploma in tourism and hotel management studies and the young
ones with such  qualifications are denied serving the industry and so the goal
cannot be  achieved without also considering the human resources available.
We need to  understand some of the bumsters can guide better than some official
guides so  they are supposed to be metamorphosed in the process of
responsible tourism than  to be labelled as common criminals.
Finally, the way forward, if  recommendations are to be characterized by
realism, focus must be given to not  just what is desirable but what is also
realizable. Pursuing plans that are not  consonant with the demands of the
objective reality on the ground may result in  building castles in the air.
What is of strategic importance is to map out a  course of action that could
be translated into achievable goals and there is  suppose to be effective
utilization of the indisputable resources to make The  Gambia a sustainable
tourism destination, if development is to speak the  language of realism
By Sulayman Bah
Student
International Business  College Fajara.

MARRIAGE AND FAMILY
‘TUMAL’ (ACCUSATION)
Part  2
Marriage Life
Their marriage life was a dream comes true. They loved  each other. Victor
was the dream hussy and Emy, the dream wife. Everything was  romantic about
them. Then came the pregnancy. Victor went through it with his  wife. He was there
for her anytime she needs him. He dotted on his wife. Victor  petted Emy.
Their parents were amused. Then cane the childbirth. Victor  accompanied his wife
to the hospital. He was so caring and devoted that the  matron in charge
allowed him to witness the birth which was not a clinic policy.  He went through
labour with Emily. He felt her pain and was very helpful to the  midwives
delivering his baby. Victor made a mark at the private clinic. Emily  delivered a
healthy baby. Both mother and daughter did very well. During the  pregnancy,
Victor ensured that Emily did her regular exercises and ate a healthy  balanced
diet. This paid devidends at childbirth.
The Nursing  Period
Victor ensured that Emy continue to eat a balanced diet, do her  regular
exercises and practised optimal, exclusive breastfeeding. During her  antenatal
days nurses advised them to practise exclusive breastfeeding. The  benefits of
this practice are overwhelming. Babies will grow fit, healthy and  sound. They
will experience little sickness, that is, if at all they get sick.  If they do
they get well quickly, mothers benefit also from the practice. The  uterus or
womb of such mother gets back to place immediately. It can serve as  family
planning. What it needs is family support for the mother to ensure she  does it
well. It is demanding. The baby feeds on demand. The child is  exclusively
breastfed for six months after which supplementary food is given. It  is always
good to give locally available food. Preferably fermented grain,  ‘Ogi’. This
fermented grain, ‘Ogi’, should be enriched with groundnut powder,  pounded
smoked fish and lime to taste with little sugar and salt. Emy read this  from
NaNA’s (Nutrition Agency) leaflets. She hoped to practice it to the letter.
Victor, as a loving, devoted husband decided to support Emy to the fullest.
Whenever he came from work he would nurse the baby while Emy would take her
snap. When Emma began to take supplementary food Victor helped prepare it if Emy
was busy. Baby Emma became very much attached to daddy. She hopped and danced
whenever daddy returned from work. The duo became the envy of many couples
who  were experiencing the opposite. Some with negative thoughts described
Victor as  weak. “He does not go to Vous. He is always tied to Emy’s skirt”. They
teased  and backbited him. Their wives have nasty tongues for Emy. “She is a
bad wife.  She controls her husband. Victor does not look in the direction of
any woman. He  washes Emy’s pants and underwears”. They exaggerated and
gossiped negatively  about the couple. Emy and Victor lived their positive lives.
Grandma Comes To  Help Nurse Her Granddaughter
Granny Jos came to help nurse her granddaughter.  She is a retired marton, an
efficient nurse. She encourage optimal breastfeeding  and using locally
available food as supplements especially the fermented grain  ‘Ogi’. She shaved
the couples how to bathe and exercise the baby to give her  physical. This is
her first grandchild. She dotted on her. Anytime she cries  Mamma called Emy to
feed her. Victor would want to play with Emma when he comes  from work but
Mamma won’t let him. “Go and rest, you are just from work. Come  for her after
your snap. “Mamma would tell Victor who would protest jokingly and  do as mamma
instructed.
At The Kitchen
Victor would go to the kitchen and  helped his wife. They would gossip about
Mamma’s devotion to baby E. “She would  not be allowed to play with my
daughter. She instructed me to have a snap  first,” Victor told Emy. “She does the
same thing to me. She holds baby E all  day long. She only calls me at feeding
time. Thank God, dad gives her only a  month. Dad said he missed his wife.
Daddy rings everyday. Mommy complains that  daddy gives her no breathing space.
He complains all the time that he is missing  his wife. Dad threatened that if
mum stays more than one month he will come  looking for her”. Emy laughed
over it. “We have enough rooms to house both of  them”. Victor made a fun of it.
“Over my dead body! I want to be alone with my  sweet heart. The old couples
have already celebrated their golden jubilee. We  are just starting,” Emy said
sternly. Victor kissed his wife. “Thank you  sunshine! Thank you for bringing
sunshine into our lives”. “Thank you in turn,”  Emy replied to her husband.
A Great Naming Ceremony
Victor’s parents held  a great naming ceremony at the village. The different
age grades entertained the  city guests. There was great fun, dancing and
eating delicious local delicacies.  There was plenty to eat and drink. Uncle Peter
is a retired health officer. He  is now a beneh, sesame farmer. He also rears
pigs. Aunty Ebi is a petty trader.  She has a stall at the town market. They
have a healthy saving. They spend money  to give their only son a grand
christening ceremony for its first child. Victor  could not restrain them. It was
their own savings. There was great partying.  Everybody enjoy themselves.
The Sugar Daddy
Victor’s Chief Executive  Officer (CEO) is a womanizer. He saw Emy and
decided to giver her a lift. Emy  came to the supermarket to buy some foodstuff. She
met Mr. Peters as she came  out of the supermarket. He offered her a lift.
She wanted to decline but he  insisted. Emy agreed. Mr. Peters have penchant for
married women. Emy was very  uncomfortable. He sensed and tried to clam her. “
I’ll tell my husband you gave  me a lift”. “No, don’t! it is not necessary”
. Emy got down and thanked him for  the lift.

Magistrate Sentences Driver
By Saikou Ceesay
Modou Gaye a  driver who was earlier convicted for negligence and careless
driving was on 16  November ordered to pay a fine of one thousand and six
hundred dalasis or in  default to serve six months in jail.
Delivering his judgment, Senior  Magistrate Abdoulie Mbacke of the Kanifing
Magistrates Court said he is of the  opinion that the accused deserves some
punishment in order to deter others from  committing a similar offence He warned
that accidents are becoming rampart on  the highways. He appealed to the
police and the authorities to try and put a  stop to it. He pointed out that some
drivers often rush on the highways. He said  their actions are sometimes
triggered by their desire to scramble for passengers  and get more money. He said
this often results in fatal accident. He added that  the court ordered the
accused to compensate Amadou Sowe, the complainant, the  sum of one thousand and
four hundred dalasis (D1400) or in default to serve  three months in prison. He
also ruled that in case the accused could not pay the  fine, both sentences
are to run consecutively. The complaint is said to have  sustained some
fractures on his legs when he was hit by the car off the  road.

Author Bamba Khan Urges Gambians To Embrace The Culture Of  Reading
By Musa Barrow
Arts and Music Column today shifts its attention  on literature. In this
executive interview, Foroyaa speaks to a promising  Gambian writer, Bamba Khan,
who described writing as an inextricable part of his  life. Bamba Khan takes us
on a guided tour of his writing career, how to  inculcate the culture of
reading in children and also dwelt on what the future  holds for upcoming Gambian
writers.
Could you please introduce yourself?
My name is Bamba Khan, aged about twenty five years old and I work at the
Access Bank.
When did you start writing?
I began active writing  about seven years ago, but I can say I started
writing even earlier than that  because writing has been my aspiration since I was a
child. Even during my  junior school days I have high inclination for art, so
I started writing by  developing short plays and also representing my junior
school at various poetry  competitions. Success came in 2004, when I and my
sister Mariam Khan published  two books; one entitled “
Juffereh, kissing you with lips,” and the other one  entitled “Proverbs of
the Senegambia”. The first one Juffereh is a collection of  poems on different
subject matters and the book is made up of about one hundred  and sixty pages.
It touches on different subject matters. It touches on history,  empowerment
of women, child exploitation, slavery and whatever centres on the  human
dignity of the African Society. The second took is a collection of  proverbs which
have been translated from the different local languages into  English. This
particular book is really looked up to by tourists and those who  want to make
reference to the literary culture of the Gambian Society. This took  summarizes
the different proverbs from the different local languages. Basically  these
two above-mentioned books served as a springboard in my entrance to the
literary world. Apart from that in 2005, I co-edited a book entitled “Ocean  Waves”
this book was written by university students and it centres on different
subject matters in different forms of poetry, prose and short stories.
Do you  have any plans to publish another book soon?
Well, I am making plans to come  up with another book, infect I have got some
works that am developing.
After  having made such a tremendous impact on the literary world within a
short period  of time, what really inspires you to continue to write?
Writing is  something that is natural.  Essentially I love the art of
writing, I love  to see birds flying in the evening, I love to hear the songs of
births or  sometimes if I go to the bush I hear the sounds of leaves, the
thunderstones or  when it rains. All these natural phenomena attract me; they are
closed to my  heart. So I feel that I can share my own world with society, because
I believe  every individual has his or her own world. And it is important
that we all share  our worlds.
What does it take to be a writer?
Writing is not difficult.  Everybody could become a writer. Writing only
requires dedication and commitment  to be able to bring out that natural talent in
you.
Earlier you made mention  of two books published by you and your sister
Mariam. What were some of the  obstacles that. you faced when you were publishing
these books?
The first  obstacle we faced was lack of a publishing house, because the
renowned  publishing houses, Macmillan, Balgraph and others do set “unnecessary
standards”. It means anyone who wants to publish with them has to go by their
standards which I believe is totally unfair. As an alternative I and my sister
 have decided to set up our own publishing house called Sandeng Publishers
where  we are going to use our own work, give them to critics to look at them
for us  and publish them without referring them to international publishing
houses. I  believe this initiative is a form of self-sufficiency and independence
which is  completely compatible with my Pan-Africanist ideas. I believe we
should not  depend on other publishing houses, instead we should initiate and
create our own  publishing house and use them to expose our works.
Another constraint writers  in this country face is lack of adequate funds to
be able to print books. The  cost of printing is very high. The third
constraint I face as a writer is people  do not buy the books when they are
published. Supermarkets are quite awash with  my books, but the only people who mostly
buy them are tourists, not Gambians. Am  not much surprised, not that because
the culture of reading in Gambia is  staggeringly poor .Gambians are more
attracted to material things like new  shoes, caps and DVDs. Gambians generally
are not very much interested in art,  they believe buying books is equivalent to
throwing their money away. This very  negative attitude towards writing truly
discourages writers like myself.
What do you think is responsible for this lackluster culture of reading in
this country?
First of all, it has to be associated to families; because  children are like
flowers, if you mould them the right way, they would develop.  But, people in
families do not force their children to read. The poor culture of  reading is
not due to the schools; it is due to the families because every child  hails
from a home. So by virtue of that, homes are responsible for what they  are.
So, if changes are to be done, it should be related to homes and family  heads.
They should nurture this culture of reading into their children. Culture  of
reading does not mean one has to read only an English book, . An Arabic book
can also be read. If children develop literacy culture, then they want to read
 everything; they become inquisitive and automatically this is good for the
country. The more literate a country is, the faster its rate of development.
So  therefore it is very significant that people in the homes change the
attitude of  their children.
Don’t you think the advent of technology is a contributing  factor to this
poor culture of reading: example children instead of reading  books are eager to
watch the latest movies and films and also play what they  consider to be
thrilling computer games?
Although the advent of technology  has its own negative effects, but I
believe it does more good than harm. The  process of printing books infact involves
technology. There is infact a website  dedicated to Gambian literature, if
children cannot get access to the books  physically, they can use the computer to
access them. As far as I am concerned  technology is here to enhance things.
So I do not associate this poor reading  culture with the advent of
technology, it goes beyond that. It has to do  something with the way people are brought
up.
You have mentioned earlier that  you and your sister Mariama have set up your
own publishing house. So what does  a publishing house do?
What a publishing house does is that it would look at  a script, rate it and
see of that script is fit for publication, if so it would  be given to a
printing house for it to be printed. Publishing houses do the  editing,
crosschecking, graphic design and whatever has to be done about the  book. Publishing
house is a group of people who look at particular scripts and  develop it.
Furthermore, renowned publishing houses do discourage writing  because they set
unnecessary standards. And mostly they exploit the efforts of  writers in the
sense that in certain books they would publish and give the  writer virtually
insignificant royalties.

Disability Does Not Mean Inability
With  Ebrima  Dibbassey
Physically Disabled Heads A Unit
An Exclusive Interview with  Wheelchair Confined Momodou Savage, National
Rehabilitation Centre, Mechanical  Unit within Social Welfare Department
Can you introduce yourself to our  readers?
Thank you very much. My name is Momodou Savage, Head of the  Mechanical Unit
of the National Rehabilitation Centre.
Mr. Savage, as  Head of the Mechanical Unit, what does your work entail?
As you are aware the  National Rehabilitation Centre is the only centre in
the Gambia that deals with  the mobility of the physically disabled. Here in the
workshop we take care of  the mobility aspect of wheelchairs, crutches,
corner seats and standing frame.  We distribute wheelchairs to our members. We also
repair wheelchairs of our  members who can be found throughout the length and
breadth of this  country.
Do you have an idea as to the number of clients who come to your  office
daily to get their wheelchairs repaired?
Well, it depends, ‘there are  certain days when the turnout is high while it
is low on other days. Basically,  we do have a lot of customers usually on
Mondays. That is not surprising because  the week starts on Monday. Sometimes, we
do have up to ten people who come for  different purposes, such as repairs,
replacement and other mobility aids. It all  depends on the disability of the
individuals, both children and adults.
You  repair them, but do you normally give out wheelchairs to users?
Indeed we  issue wheelchairs here and we issue them free of charge for that
matter, we  repair them free as well, so these are all activities that we do
within the  centre.
For how long have you been the head of this technical or mechanical  unit?
I have been the head of this unit for the past eight years.
Now one  can say some of the disabled who use wheelchairs in some instances
abandon their  wheelchairs at strategic locations and kneel down in order to
attract alms from  individuals. As a wheelchair user, what would you say to
these  individuals?
It is understandable given their poverty but it is not  dignified. The centre
is purposely to serve the physically disabled and provide  them with
wheelchairs. Even if you sit on your wheelchair, when you go to the  market, people
can give you something whoever wants to give would give something  because
Gambians are so generous, people would give out money, give out charity.
If you say National Rehabilitation Centre, this is meant for all the people
with disability including you yourself. You are a physically challenged. I
hope  other disabled people will not see it as a discrimination, like
concentrating  only physically disabled. What do you have in this regard?
With regards to  that issue. I think it is a very salient point when you say
National  Rehabilitation Centre should cover all aspects of disability but
unfortunately  this is only the physical aspect that we are dealing with. With
regards to the  deaf and the visually impaired they also need to be
rehabilitated. Nonetheless,  I think the visually impaired have their own way of having
white cane and there  are instances when they come here and then we give out
walking sticks to them. I  can remember many of them came here and then we issued
them with walking sticks,  because if you don’t have a white cane you can use
a walking stick and sometimes  we do give that.
You seem to be happily married, how many children do you  have?
Yes, I am married I have two children; a boy and a girl.

Do you do any physical exercise/physical training? What do you do  as part of
your enjoyment or relaxation?
Normally, I don’t do physical  training but definitely I was a very good
basketball player. In fact, I was  among the first people who introduced physical
basketball in the Gambia and I  was the captain. You may already know that I
am the technical director of the  Gambia National Basketball Committee.
Definitely, after work I don’t do any  physical exercise which is not actually good
for me.
Tell us about your  background?
I was born in Banjul. My parents are here even my great  grandmother who came
from Basse, a place called Ceesay Kunda.
What is your  age?
Savage: Well, I am an elderly ma
What are some of your bit  difficulties that you were unable to overcome to
make your customers  happy?
That is a very good point you know. There are very good people who  come to
the Gambia and sometimes they even come with stocks of this sort  wheelchairs,
coaches and the like and sometimes they don’t even know where to  take them. I
am urging every Gambian and non-Gambian who have these things in  stock to
bring them forward to us.

As the world disabled day  approaches, year what would be your message for
the year 2007 World Disabled  Day?
It is very important that we are marking world disable day, I think the
essence of 3rd December is for government, NGOs to know the existence of the
physically challenged or the disabled people in the Gambia or in the world at
large.  They should have the foresight to be part of the planning. They  must not
be forgotten when it comes to road network, transportation, physical
structure; when you even come to policies. These are very important things that
definitely the government and NGOs should really consider. They should not  forget
the disabled but cater for them and even try to give them the chance to
explore their ability. They have a lot to share and they have a lot to  contribute
to national development.
What would be your final word to the  leadership?
Yes, let the disabled community come together because that is  the time the
government can see us as a very unique force in order to cater for  the
disabled community. Let the disabled come together and say we need this, we  need
that. At least that will really help the government to plan properly; so  that
they will not forget certain areas. But when the disabled come together and
form a very strong force that will help the government and even non-governmental
organisations to plan properly and be inclusive.

D6.8  Million Water Project Launched In URR
By Lamin Fatty
The Permanent  Secretary for the Department of State for Fisheries, Water
Resources and  National Assembly matters Mr. Lamin Nyabally has said that rural
water supply  should not be treated as a mere service delivery process, but as
a step towards  household water security.
Mr. Nyabally made this remark recently at the  Governors Bantaba at URR
Basse, while delivering a speech on behalf of the  Secretary of State for
Fisheries, Water Resources and National Assembly Matters  at the launching ceremony.
According to Mr. Nyabally the programme which  costs 6.8 million Euros
(almost equipment to about D200 million) will provide  clean portable water and
proper sanitation to both the rural and peri-urban  populations of over 115,000
inhabitants; thereby reducing the stress on the  national health budget and fuel
importation cost, particularly for the main  project areas like URR, NBR, and
WR.. He pointed out that Government has  recently promulgated a water policy
which he said calls for the establishment of  a management and inclusive water
management framework base on integrated water  resources management
principles. He also said a water maintenance policy is  being developed to provide a
framework for community water management in order  to provide instruments for
capacity building for water user group. He  highlighted that the RWSSSP unlike
having a peri-urban component around the  urban areas. He stressed that the
challenge in the water sector will be to  promise and facilitate the management of
our water resources and infrastructures  that are constructed throughout the
country.
For his part, the programme  coordinator of the RWSSS Mr. Ousman Jarjusey
highlighted that an estimated 164  new water supply system will be installed. He
said 80 large diameters dug wells  with hand pumps will also be provided for
the small communities. He pointed out  that 50 drilled wells and at least 25
solar water supply systems will be  provided for the medium and large size rural
communities with a population of  1000 inhabitants.
According to Mr. Jarjusey, the project will improve the  operation and
maintenance arrangements for the rural water supply facilities by  ensuring
sustainability and achieving cost recovery. He said that it will also  improve the
sanitary and hygiene practices of the beneficiary communities  through health
education, provision of sample pig-latine and skills training at  village level.
He said it will also strengthen the national capacity of the  rural water
supply sector to ensure the implementation of policies and reforms.
For his part the governor of URR Alhagie Omar Khan stated among other things
that without water, there is no life. He urged the villagers who are to
benefit  from the project to make best use of if. He finally said that all hands
must be  on deck to make the project a success. The ceremony was chaired by the
executive  secretary of the Gambia Association of Local Government Authorities
(GALGA) Mr.  Mustapha Njie.

Man Accused Of Raping A Thirteen Year Old Girl
By  Bubacarr K. Sowe
A 27 year-old resident (name with held) of 199 Tobacco Road  in Banjul is in
police custody for allegedly raping a thirteen-year-old girl.  Spokesman of
the Gambia Police Force, Inspector Sulayman Secka said the alleged  offence
occurred along the Tobacco Road at 01:08 hours in the morning of Monday,  November
19.
Inspector Secka also confirmed that the alleged culprit is  under
investigation and the victim had been to a health centre for medical check  up. A source
has hinted Foroyaa that the victim is insane.

Lamin  Sarr Preaches Discipline
By Modou Nyang
Scorpions assistant coach Lamin  Sarr has implored on his players currently
training for the Zone II championship  to respect time set for training.
Sarr who is currently overseeing the  training in the absence of head coach
Jose Martinez, said this on Tuesday  morning when addressing the players after
training of which 6 of the 22 selected  players reported late. He said: “This
is a National call and you have responded  to the call, which means that you
have accepted. [So] I expect every one of you  to respect time set for
trainings. The choice is your, we agreed to start  raining at 8am but even you (don’t
know referring to who) who live here in Bakau  coming late is not acceptable”.
And he continued: “This is the senior  National team and you should set
examples for the young ones [to follow]. You  are now aspiring to be professionals
and it from here that you start respecting  time. All of you have mobiles
[phones] or watches you can set their alarm time  to wake you up, I set mine to
5:30am and I have to wake up even if I am  sleepy”.
Coach Lamin Sarr conducted his training session with the players  that
reported early taking them through many techniques on goal scoring and  defending.
And the final selection of 18 players for the competition in Guinea  Bissau is
expected next week before the team leave for Bissau on Tuesday 27th or
Wednesday 28th.
The team is also expected to go in to camp this week and  today Wednesday is
being touted as the day.

SK East Crash out of Super  Nawettan
By Lamin Komma and Sulayman Bah
Serrekunda East has gone out of  the Super Nawettan competition after a
goalless draw with Banjul on Tuesday at  the West football grounds.
The defending champions failed in the defence of  their title as they
finished third in their group with 4 points behind Bakau and  Banjul who took first
and second with 7 and 5 points respectively. This is  probably the first time
for the five time winners of the competition – equaled  only by Banjul, failed
to make it out of the group stage of the competition.
With only a point assuring them a place in the semifinal, Banjul went into
the game with a game plan not to concede and allow East to fight for every
touch  of the ball. But the City Boys could have been two goals up in the first
half  had it not been for the supporting defence of the goal post. Striker
Ousman  Jagne beat the East goalkeeper twice in the 4th and 42nd minute but his
strike  hit the post.
East returned for the second period eager to find a break  through and only
the good defending and superb form of the Banjul keeper Musa  Camara held them
out. The former champions best chance in the match came in the  72nd minute
when Camara brilliantly put off a goal bound howler from number 13  Ousman. And
East could still consider themselves lucky when substitute Ebrima  Sonko
failed to react on time to slot home.
In the other match at the  Serrekunda East grounds Bakau maintained their
unbeaten run in the competition  by defeating Sukuta 3-2. Bakau took the lead in
the 23rd minute through Sainey  Ceesay but Sukuta canceled it out in the 38th
from a Lamin Ceesay strike. The  KMC side however rallied in the second half
and scored twice. Forward Alagie  Janneh lobbed the ball over the Sukuta
defence and sent a strong drive into the  net and Pateh Nyang got his second in the
competition scoring Bakau’s third.  However, Ousman Bojang pulled one inside
injury time to end the match  3-2.
Joseph Gomez (Joe Tennis) Serrekunda East coach said his boys has done  their
best and he just had to cheer them. “It’s a lesson, [but] the boys have
done their best, three of our players who were supposed to start the match
[could not] due to the organizers [misplacing] their cards. Our match with  Sukuta
was the worst match we have ever played, we just won the match but it was  not
a good match and we changed in our second match and were just not lucky to
hit the net.

Sainey and Mansally Fail in Double Attempt
By Modou  Nyang
Sainey Nyassi and Abdoulie Mansally failed to capture the MLS league  title
losing 2-1 against Houston Dynamo in Washington on Sunday.
The young  Gambian duo were in for a second silverware attempt with club New
England  Revolution after they captured the US Open Cup Championship two
months ago.  Sainey and Mansally did not make it from the bench in a game the Revs
took the  lead in the first half only to be subdued by the Dynamo in the
second.
Striker Taylor Twellman put the Revs in the lead in the 20th minute,  but the
Dynamo tied it in the 61st before they fired the winner 13 minutes later  in
the second half. Revolution has never won the MLS title having reached the
final four times. They fell in the final hurdle in the 2002 and 2005 through
injury time goals and last year were denied through penalties.
Sainey and  Mansally have each made one appearance for Revolution in the
league as  substitutes and increasing their playing time playing with the reserves
in the  reserves division. Despite not having played many games for the Revs
after  joining them late in the season, the young Gambians picked up
championship  medals in the US Open Cup.