GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sidi Sanneh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 19:08:09 -0500
Dr. Saine,
Thank you for bringing the problem of the Jeshwang Cemetries to the
attention of all concerned Gambians. The problem is that the chain-linked
fence demarcating the cemetaries have been vandalised and/or dismantled for
private use, leaving our loved ones exposed to the scavenging dogs. I had to
do some repairs to the cemetry next to my mother's last Sunday for the
reason you've cited. I applaud Koto Abou Dandeh, Ndo Alpha Barry and all
those involved in this worthwhile project.  Another facility that require
urgent remedial action is the pschiatric ward at Campama which was a subject
raised some weeks ago. During my recent trip to Banjul, I visited the
facility together with Oussou Njie Senor, George Christenssen, Dr
. Omar
Touray and a gentleman from the Kingfisher Trust. Oussou Njie has organised
at least one concert and has thus far raised D10,000 to go towards the
rehabilitation works. We will be soliciting, preferably in-kind assistance,
from the contracting firms to replace the  corrugated asbestos sheetings (a
major health hazard), replace the beds, procure medication; in short fix-up
the place a little to make it more humane and habitable for the patients
which, in my view, doesn't take much both in terms of human and material
resources. A more permanent solution, however, involves the re-location of
Campama to Brufut where land was allocated, I am told, for a new facility. I
intend to follow-up on this alternate site for Campama. Oussou, George and
Dr. Touray will be providing me with periodic reports on progress including
a planned concert inside Campama by Oussou Njie at the request of one of the
patien
ts who would like hear his favourite tune "Gambia Sunu Rew, fungka
nala .. take it away Oussou. Ola Coker get your "tumbas" ready because you
are coming down for the show.

Sidi Sanneh