GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Momodou S Sidibeh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 00:04:13 +0200
Sister Jabou,

I read about the interview with Amy Goodman. It was done while A. Roy was in the U.S. last fall - before travelling to Brazil. The speech she gave at a rally (I think) in the U.S, labelled Not Again, will also be included in her next book (War Talk) to be published this month.

Yes, one wonders whether the Iraqis are dancing just too soon. But I supposed that is what happens with populations that have endured  brutal dictatorships. It is perhaps acceptable that they celebrate this moment of freedom from Saddamania while remaining secretly apprehensive of the storm that must follow in its wake.
Just yesterday, I read somewhere that deals are already in the pipeline involving siphoning Iraqi oil to Israel through the "good offices" of Jordan.  Antoher important commodity that is often neglected or just forgotten is Iraqi water.

When I feel really gloomy I usually persuade myself that something a little good may just emerge from this new horrid expansion of empire: Red Alert to all the little dictators jumping all over the place. It is April 10 and 11, three years since the bloody murder of our students in the streets of Serre-Kunda; and those who gave the orders to cut them to pieces are still in town. We shall not forget.

Momodou S Sidibeh