GAMBIA-L Archives

GAMBIA-L@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yusupha Jow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 00:48:09 EST
Yahya:

Thanks for your comments again.  The question here is not whether a fishing
industry is needed back home, but, most important, what form this venture
should take?

I do not believe that a whole industry in the classic sense is feasible
within the parameters which we have in The Gambia.  Instead, it must be a
small scale industry specifically implemented with certain constraints taken
into effect.  The goals should strictly be self sufficiency and a higher
quality product with perhaps the long range plan of exporting within the
sub-region once the industry short range plans are met.

As for more grandiose plans, I just don't believe our country can withstand
the adverse effects of big fishing industries.  Like you espoused earlier,
the idea of allowing other bigger more established players in the industry to
set up shop back home, will enrich the few individuals at the expense of
Gambian.  The tax concessions being offered to these companies will not help
alleviate the problem.

Additionally, there is the devastating damage to the environment which big
scale industrial fish industries bring.  The issue of pollution has to be
considered as well as the real possible danger of overfishing the waters
along our small coastline and possibly damaging the marine ecosystem for many
years to come.  Not to mention a whole culture of fishing being completely
put to an end.

The government cannot run an industry for the reasons I gave in my earlier
email.  On the other hand, inviting more established foreign companies to
have a free reign in our waters also bodes bad for our country for the
reasons I stated above even if they will provide jobs.

I believe the form which such an industry must take must be carefully
measured. A much scaled down version is needed and perhaps there should be
more incentives for Gambians to participate privately in this industry.  This
way we can at least control its growth.  A more scaled down version of the
fishing industry along the lines of Mr. Sidi Sanneh's idea will definitely be
more feasible and beneficial in the long run.

My contention was due to the announcement of a plan with no direction by the
government.  The plant itself was highly touted but what type of direction
this industry will take is the question we need answered.

Regards,
Yus